CO Detector

Bobby A

Sorry guys, don't know where this belongs so please move it to right area.

My CO2 detector in the bedroom Model # 900-0143 started beeping with the red light flashing about ever 30 seconds or so. It says on the unit if it beeps 4 times to move to a fresh area if it beeps 1 time (like mine done) to see manual. I've looked all through my Heartland paper work and have absolutely NO information on CO2 or fire alarm info. I've replaced the batterys and it still beeps, can anyone tell me what the 1 beep means ?? Are these things hard wired along with the 3 AA batterys it takes ?? I am at a loss right now, can anyone give me some info ??
Thanks very much.
Bobby

danemayer

Re: CO2 detector

Hi Bobby,

If you have an Atwood CO detector, one of these manuals might help. Aside from what the manual says, if you have a 2010 Bighorn, it might just be time to replace the alarm.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
CO2 detector

Bobby, it's a carbon monoxide (CO), not a carbon dioxide (CO2) detector. It is my experience that the device has reached the end of its service life and should be replaced. The ones in our rigs are battery only, not hard-wired. Older versions of these devices typically have a 7 to 10 year service life before the sensor goes bad. Sometimes, they go even faster. There should be a manufactured date on the device, on the nomenclature tag normally. See how old it is. Some also may have a replace by date on them.

Unless you were burning something in the rig to create enough CO to fill the rig, that's my opinion. Of all the CO alarm calls I've been on, only a very small percentage actually were "legit " and due to a faulty gas furnace or gas water heater vent or the fireplace damper not opened when they lit the fire. Most were just bad batteries or old units.

wdk450

Yeah, but Weird Al Yankovic lost both of his parents the same night from a faulty fireplace flue and CO poisoning. I don't think CO detectors were in use at that time.

JohnDar

Yeah, but Weird Al Yankovic lost both of his parents the same night from a faulty fireplace flue and CO poisoning. I don't think CO detectors were in use at that time.

Exactly. You have to have some form of combustion to generate CO. And if the exhaust of the generated gases is restricted, you'll fill the space with it.

In today's structure fires, CO is accompanied by HCN and the work together to kill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

Question, Atwood advertises you don't want to use a household CO detector in an RV. Why not?

Bobby A

Hi Bobby,

If you have an Atwood CO detector, one of these manuals might help. Aside from what the manual says, if you have a 2010 Bighorn, it might just be time to replace the alarm.

Thanks Dan for finding that manual, yes it was one of those, I guess like JonDar said it reached it max life. Wonder if Camping World has them ?? Thanks everyone

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

Bobby, take the co tester with you can go to HD or Lowes. Bet they have a replacement and will be cheaper than CW.

HornedToad

Question, Atwood advertises you don't want to use a household CO detector in an RV. Why not?

Tiger,

I'm waiting for the answer!!!

Because on top of my one OEM CO detector... I have added two household CO detectors bought off the shelf from Walmart, one in the bedroom and the other in the garage.

PS They work, I set the bedroom one off one night when I was parked on a slope with the front generator compartment barely off the ground and the exhaust pipe in tall grass.

Bobby A

Bobby, take the co tester with you can go to HD or Lowes. Bet they have a replacement and will be cheaper than CW.

Good idea Bob, that's what I did, got one at HD, it really wasn't any cheaper though. Now waiting for a previous post to get the answer why your not to us a household unit in an RV ??? Anyone got the answer yet ??

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired

Bobby, it's a carbon monoxide (CO), not a carbon dioxide (CO2) detector.

The OP is just repeating how his detector is labeled. Here's a pic of ours mounted on the ceiling above the bed.
d211f013dd0730757d39712ad8feae22.jpg

Imagine if it really was a CO2 detector, it would be beeping all the time in our rig !!!

JohnDar

Pretty bad when the manufacturer doesn't know what it detects.

JohnDar

Whoever put the sticker on the detector needs a smack
upside the head for being an idiot.

Bobby A

Well after reading JonDar's link I decided to take the one I bought at H/Depot back and went to General RV and bought the Atwood CO Alarm made for RV's, its the digital one, it only cost about 13 buck more than the one I got at HD, this is something I didn't want to skimp out on do to the serious end result that could occur, God forbid.
Blessings everyone,
Bobby A

JohnDar

While you're at it, Bobby, take a look at your smoke detector dates. They, too, have a service life similar to CO detectors. Those are what will sound first if there's a fire. The dual detector type are recommended. I have one in the bedroom ceiling and another in the rear of the trailer. I disabled the single OEM one over the steps because the toaster kept setting it off. Mac, the FireGuy was selling some good ones at rallies and on his website.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Also check your LP detector, they have an expiration date as well.