Roadside Assistance Plans - Your Experiences

BigGuy82

So, I've got Roadside Assistance from Geico and from my Preserve Extended Protection plan that I purchased when I bought my Bighorn. Now comes an offer from Good Sam in the mail. I can compare all of the coverages they offer, but what I'm really looking for is your experience with these plans - good, bad, whatever. I'm looking for the best one to use when I'm on the road. Also, I don't care about "Extended Protection", just Roadside Assistance.

When you had an emergency. who did you call? How was their response? Would you use them again?

Thanks in advance for your help.

MCTalley

We have had Good Sam since we started full-timing in September, 2012. I know others have had worse experiences, but here are mine:

1. Flat tire on trailer on interstate near major city (Montgomery, AL) during a weekday. Called Good Sam, they indicated it would be around 45 minutes and that they'd call back to make sure that someone arrived. Someone arrived in about 45 minutes, Good Sam called just as they arrived. The truck sent from a mobile tire store had a jack that wasn't strong enough to lift our trailer, so he called back to the shop and within 15 minutes another truck arrived with an air compressor and heavier duty jack. Had us on the road with our spare fairly quickly after that.

2. Toasted bearing on I-40 in the middle of nowhere in Arizona. Good Sam indicated it would be about an hour before a mobile tech could get there. They did indicate that any repairs were on our dime (I expected that). Tech from truck repair shop a half hour away showed up when expected. Surveyed damage, drove to Flagstaff to get parts (new hub, bearings, brake backing plate), drove back (nearly an hour each way). Repaired wheel enough to get us up the road to the next town (where he came from). Took trailer into their shop next day and they put a new axle in (the end of the spindle was chewed up).

3. Another toasted bearing (related to incident #2) on a major interstate in Phoenix on a Saturday afternoon. Good Sam indicated that it would be hours, if not days (i.e. on Monday) before they could get something there to get a 40 foot fifth wheel somewhere. Good Sam tech asked if we were able to ratchet strap up the empty axle end and drive the rig carefully to a repair shop about 3 miles away. Fortunately, a good samaritan had stopped and helped me with the strap up, then followed us as we drove the trailer about 15 mph to the shop (on surface streets, fortunately).

Those are our only three incidents. One could say that they failed on incident #3, I guess, but they at least did offer some way for us to get off the road and to a safe place even if it involved me doing all the work.

Bohemian

Good Sam kept us waiting for 4 hours, then informed us they could not get a tow service to us.

Kutztown, PA

Last edited:

BigGuy82

They keptnus waiting for 4 hours, then 8nform3d us they could not get a tow service to us.

Which one? Geico, Preserve or Good Sam? Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

We have had Good Sam since we started full-timing in September, 2012. I know others have had worse experiences, but here are mine:

1. Flat tire on trailer on interstate near major city (Montgomery, AL) during a weekday. Called Good Sam, they indicated it would be around 45 minutes and that they'd call back to make sure that someone arrived. Someone arrived in about 45 minutes, Good Sam called just as they arrived. The truck sent from a mobile tire store had a jack that wasn't strong enough to lift our trailer, so he called back to the shop and within 15 minutes another truck arrived with an air compressor and heavier duty jack. Had us on the road with our spare fairly quickly after that.

2. Toasted bearing on I-40 in the middle of nowhere in Arizona. Good Sam indicated it would be about an hour before a mobile tech could get there. They did indicate that any repairs were on our dime (I expected that). Tech from truck repair shop a half hour away showed up when expected. Surveyed damage, drove to Flagstaff to get parts (new hub, bearings, brake backing plate), drove back (nearly an hour each way). Repaired wheel enough to get us up the road to the next town (where he came from). Took trailer into their shop next day and they put a new axle in (the end of the spindle was chewed up).

3. Another toasted bearing (related to incident #2) on a major interstate in Phoenix on a Saturday afternoon. Good Sam indicated that it would be hours, if not days (i.e. on Monday) before they could get something there to get a 40 foot fifth wheel somewhere. Good Sam tech asked if we were able to ratchet strap up the empty axle end and drive the rig carefully to a repair shop about 3 miles away. Fortunately, a good samaritan had stopped and helped me with the strap up, then followed us as we drove the trailer about 15 mph to the shop (on surface streets, fortunately).

Those are our only three incidents. One could say that they failed on incident #3, I guess, but they at least did offer some way for us to get off the road and to a safe place even if it involved me doing all the work.

Thanks so much for the detailed answer. Very helpful. Overall, I guess I'd give them a passing grade.

BighornELK

We originally had Good Sam, but recently switched to Coach-Net. Thankfully we've never needed to use either service. We change companies after sitting through a presentation by Coach-Net at a Heartland rally.

gasman

Camp Socializer
We have had Good Sam for several years and have used it a few times. We have always been satisfied with the service. What ever service you decide to go with, make sure that they will also tow your fifth wheel. Many of them will take care of travel trailers and motorhomes but not fifth wheels.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
If you decide to go with Good Sam, It might not be a bad idea to keep your Gieco just in case. Better to have two options in a "situation", rather than one.

Sniper

We've had very good experiences with coach-net. On the two occasions we had to use them the first question they asked was: are you in a safe location? The Commander really liked that. They kept us posted, and followed up after the service. Very satisfied with them.

Lynn1130

Good Sam does the same, I have found. There was plenty of checking and rechecking with us during the wait and followup as to the service after. Wait times generally depend upon the distance to the nearest service that they use and of course how busy that service is at the time.

bsuds

We have had Good Sam since we bought our 5th wheel. Used it a couple of times for our cars but this Summer we blew a tire on the RV. They were great and had a truck there in an hour and we were back on the road in no time.

pegmikef

I have only used them twice in four years, once for my truck and once for my old North Trail (blow out) and they provided excellent timely service on both occasions. I think many of the complaints I have heard should be charged to the provider they send, rather than Good Sam's itself.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We used to have Good Sam's . . . but now have RSA through our insurance company.

We used Good Sam's once when we ran out of gas in the middle of Nowheresville, Nebraska on a Sunday afternoon:

OutOfGasInNebraska-IMG1198.jpg

I was amazed there was cell service!

Took about an hour and a half for the truck to bring us gas, but it was a nice quiet place to enjoy lunch in the trailer!

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
We just used Good Sam yesterday got a blowout on I81 in TN. Took them about 45 minutes to find a service provider and they called us to let us know that. Everything went smoothly and quickly otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gas20

I have good sam, and have used them 3 or 4 times. The only problem I have had is getting them to understand where I am at. When I say I am on the south bound side of I-95, South of Palm Bay, Florida and north of Sebastian, Fl. What is so difficult about that? Now I try to remember what mile marker I am. It seems that these young people that answer the phone have no ideal where you are.