Replacing day/night shades with roller shades

DGEdwards

My day/night blinds are getting hard to operate and are not providing enough sunlight blockage, I am wanting to replace them with blackout roller shades, any suggestions or recommendations?

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

The MCD shades should be easy to install if you already have valances. Mine are mounted with 2 snap-in clips screwed into the bottom of the top board of the valance. Mount the 2 clips and pop them in. I have heard they are very pricey though.
FYI- they also offer electric version too.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Replaced our Day/Night last year with the MCD roller shades. Took me about 2 hrs to do the whole coach. Once you get a few done the remainders install even easier.

pegmikef

I went to the MCD factory and had them replace mine. The whole deal took three days from the time they came in and measured to the installation which included making the shades. It only cost me 180 dollars more for labor than it would have if I had done the measuring and installing myself and ordered the same shades. The Mckinney, Tx factory has 12 50 Amp electric sites, but no water or sewer hookups. I figure I am about even because I didn't have to pay for any shipping.

I know of at least one RV'r who ordered the shades from the factory, and then picked them up himself thereby saving the shipping costs.

Last edited:

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I know one thing you Will love them !!!!!
So much better then those darn day/night accordion shades 10 times over.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Mizmary

Pretty much anything is better than the day/night shades! We bought some faux wood 2" blinds from Home Depot and put them up and they are just as nice. Until it comes time to dust them! ;)

Bobby A

Our friends just did it with there SOB from the company SWC, same maker as the day/night shade in my rig. They love it and it really wasn't that expensive and the gal Mindy that works there is fantastic.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I know one thing you Will love them !!!!!
So much better then those darn day/night accordion shades 10 times over.

Amen . . . X3!

Here is the original back window shade in our Prowler:

ProwlerDefectsRearWindowShade-P1000776.jpg

And this is the warranty replacement shade:

ProwlerNewShade-P7070410.jpg

Ain't nuthin' quite like that wrinkled look! :p

I think I am just going to buy a shade from Lowe's or Home Depot.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
And then there's the alternative...

Attachments

• Side Verticals 1.jpg
    Side Verticals 1.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 57

Chippendale

With the old day/night shades, I use to travel with them down, and have been doing the same with my new roller shades, but got to thinking. The d/n shades were attached to strings and couldn't flop around, but the roller shades can flop when traveling. Seems to me that it would be better to travel with them rolled up. Any opinions? I am traveling today, and have put them up for this trip.

pegmikef

With the old day/night shades, I use to travel with them down, and have been doing the same with my new roller shades, but got to thinking. The d/n shades were attached to strings and couldn't flop around, but the roller shades can flop when traveling. Seems to me that it would be better to travel with them rolled up. Any opinions? I am traveling today, and have put them up for this trip.

George, they told me at the factory that it is best to travel with them up. Also, they gave me a bunch of little velcro stick-ons intended to keep them in place when you window is open and the breeze blowing them.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
So far we have been traveling with them down. Too hot in TX to let all that sun in! ;)