Camping near Asheville, NC

BighornELK

We are looking for campgrounds in the Asheville, NC area for October. We found 2 we liked - Mama Gerties Hideaway Campground, and Campfire Lodgings. Both we really liked and would like to hear feedback and/or other options.

cds1

We were at Mama Gerties for a week in May. Its a really nice unique campground that will challenge your skills pulling your Bighorn. I checked out the reviews on RV Park Reviews and had a friend that had visited the campground prior to our visit. All have had positive comments about this campground. If you are looking for things to do in Asheville check out the Lazoom Tour, an interesting historic tour. Need any other please feel free to pm me.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
X2 on mama gerties. Great view from the upper terrace sites

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BighornELK

Well, neither Mama Gerties nor Campfire Lodging have availability!!!!! Looking at several options, but not very promising. We found available sites at Bear Creek. Looks okay, but is right off the interstate. Guess if we want to be in this area we'll have to take the good with the bad!!!!

osims

bsims
There is a neat campground near Waynesville called Mooshine Creek, maybe a little further but a nice place.

ccarrington99

North Carolina Chapter Leaders-retired
Bear creek is not good. Too close to each other. You can wipe each other's mouth after eating.

Swannanoa KOA is not too bad, but there is a train track close by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MCTalley

The Asheville West KOA is a nice campground. We stayed there on an overnight in the height of the fall colors. It is close to the interstate and there is an overpass nearby that has a rough transition, so all the trucks tend to thump, thump, thump over it all night. Didn't bother us, though.

IMG_5837-2-L.jpg

WSKinVA

We second the KOA Asheville West recommendation. This is where we wound up after pulling out of Campfire Lodgings. At the website, choose the one that has a patio - F-18 - it is the nicest site in the place (and is the one that is pictured). Although it looks like it is right next to the I-40, the noise was surprisingly not too terrible.

We LEFT Campfire Lodgings because we got the 'run around', literally... The made us move from one site to another mid stay because they had somebody "coming in" - and, yes, they NEVER showed. Then they wanted us to move, AGAIN. Well, if we were packing up, anyway, we were leaving - for good. I guess the folks there believe people at their word. Well, we won't be going back there. They claim everything is booked a year in advance, FWIW.

A great area - check out the 'W'villes - Weaverville and Waynesville.

The Asheville West KOA is a nice campground. We stayed there on an overnight in the height of the fall colors. It is close to the interstate and there is an overpass nearby that has a rough transition, so all the trucks tend to thump, thump, thump over it all night. Didn't bother us, though.

IMG_5837-2-L.jpg