Battery Cut-off

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders
I Just Bought A New Bighorn And Put A Cut-off Switch On The Battery Below The Hydraulic Pump You Turn The Switch Off And Everything Still Works. Am I Missing Something ? Is There Another Battery Somewhere

jnbhobe

Two things come to mind, first is there is a place in the front compartment for a second battery, and the second thing is are you hooked up to electric? If you are you will have 12V power from the converter.But you sould have a battery in the system when the converter is working.

azbound

On my BH one battery is located below the Hydraulic pump the other is in the Front compartment close to the first battery.

gmc

Cut;off Switch

Oh boy thanks for the replies, I just figured out the problem as I was reading your replies. I also installed a second battery in the front compartment, and like an airhead put the neg. wire from the second battery on to the first battery. It too should run through the switch.

Shadowchek

I removed the battery box that came with the BH and bolted in a 1 1/4# thick board the length of that area with nice tie downs on each end. I now can fit 3 24 group batteries side by side in that compartment. I hooked them all together. Now I just need to install a cutoff switch and maybe upgrade to some golf cart batteries in the future. If I added one more battery in the front area I could run a bank of 4 without taking up much space. I am good for now though.

Greg

nhunter

Shadowchek, just make sure you have something covering the battery terminals if they are not if a box. The result of something shorting them out is not pretty:eek:

gmc

Well guys this is gmc. Like an idiot I had the trailer plug plugged into the truck so all is well. Thanks for the input. I do boondock alot so the extra battery helps. This is the first trailer I've had that only had one. I guess that most people with a bighorn probably use full hookups. I've only had the trailer one week so far so good(3055rl). only a few minor glitches. I'm headed to Alpine Lake in Alpine county Tuesday eve. It's in northern ca. for those that have never heard of it.

Shadowchek

Shadowchek, just make sure you have something covering the battery terminals if they are not if a box. The result of something shorting them out is not pretty:eek:

You are right I think I will get a rubber matt to cover them.

Greg