MCD unrolled

travlingman

Went out to start getting ready for a trip and the MCD night shade on one of my windows is completely unrolled. Rolled it back up by hand, but no tension when I do that. Any idea on how to fix?

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

It might have a broken spring inside.
You might try to manually wrap the shade up and over the top several times to see if you can regain spring tension.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

travlingman

Have took my fingers and rolled it completely back up, but no tension to hold it. Didn't know if there was a way to get to where spring is to fix it or not.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

No I don't think that would work. you'll need to wrap the shade up and over several times around and around while holding the tube from spinning. That might regain the tension if the spring is not broken.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

bobw

If you go to the mcd site you can download a file that will tell you how to retention the shade.

lynndiwagoner

I had one that did the same thing. Here's how I fixed it. Take it down and remove the affected roller from the bracket. Pull out each end. At one end there is a long spring attached to a plastic coupling. That is where mine broke.....the plastic coupling, I can't imagine the spring breaking. Take a small drill bit and drill a hole in each end of the broken plastic. Get a small piece of steel wire that will go into the holes and epoxy the devil out of both ends of the plastic and stick the two ends together and let dry overnight. Works like a charm or order the new part from MCD for a good chunk of change. Good luck.

rxbristol

Take the roller apart to get the part numbers--I bet you have a broken spring. Call the company to order the replacement part and they will send you instructions on how to put it back together properly. Even if the spring is not broken, the tech will send you instructions on how to retention the spring. I've had to replace one spring and another one just had to be reset.

travlingman

Thanks for the help. Found the tension instructions at website, will give a try tomorrow. Will let you know how it works out.

yport

Take the roller apart to get the part numbers--I bet you have a broken spring. Call the company to order the replacement part and they will send you instructions on how to put it back together properly. Even if the spring is not broken, the tech will send you instructions on how to retention the spring. I've had to replace one spring and another one just had to be reset.

X2 ... Called MCD and they were great. Sent me replacement part that broke with instructions. Piece of cake!!

travlingman

Called MCD today and they helped me trouble shoot. Didn't have time to take apart but looks like broke spring. Before I was off the phone with them already had received instructions through e-mail.

rxbristol

Called MCD today and they helped me trouble shoot. Didn't have time to take apart but looks like broke spring. Before I was off the phone with them already had received instructions through e-mail.

Wait until you see the replacement cost.