Shaky Mirrors........

Uncle Rog

Howdy, my truck has the GMC extendable, shrouded exterior mirrors and they shake. I can adjust them electrically and they "tighten" up for a while but after a time they get loose again. I am not smart enough to figure out to get inside the unit to tighten or adjust them. Any ideas? I guess too many dirt roads has taken their toll.............

Forrest Fetherolf

Could it be a wheel balance problem @ 55-60 mph or some of those Socal "washboard" roads? I have the same mirrors with 40k miles.......no problem.

Forrest

soilmovers

Our mirrors did the same thing. We had them replaced while under warranty.
Also, I was told if you have a bug deflector on your hood, that can cause shaking mirrors, too.

Uncle Rog

Thanks guys, the wheel balance / alignment is perfect I have the former checked every 5k miles and do not have a deflector. I have 63+k on the truck and did not have a problem until well out of the original warranty, I figured the 100k drive train guaranty was sufficient. I guess I will check around the net and seek further info, thanks again.......

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Roger...if your getting vibration in the 50 - 55 mph. range you could have a drive shaft universal joint going out . If one is out there is generally no vibration below or above this range when one is starting to go bad. Generally you will feel the vibration come and go through the steering wheel when driving . I replaced a universal in my previous truck that was doing this and after taking it off it had never had grease in one of the bearings ,nothing left inside mostly powder from the ground up needle bearings. I would have thought there would have been more vibration than there was after seeing how bad it was after taking it apart.....good luck........Kenny

Uncle Rog

Thanks Ken, I have zero vibration or loose steering of any kind, especially since the steering shaft issue was resolved. For lack of a better description it just seems to be the mirror will not hold.........

truknutt

Committed Member
Roger,

Do you mean that just the glass is shaking; not the entire mirror? Are both mirrors experiencing the "shakes"?

I'm by no means an expert but it sounds like the mirror motors aren't "holding". The driver's side on my Super Dude does the same thing while the co-pilot side is steady. It used to annoy me but now I'm used to it and just figure it took to many hits to the noggin in the parking lots.

I did find this TSB for the 2005 Sierra:
Component Name: 135200 VISIBILITY:REARVIEW MIRRORS/DEVICES:EXTERIOR
NHTSA #: 3671
SUMMARY: SERVICE VME - OUTSIDE REARVIEW MIRROR VIBRATION. *TT

It doesn't say what type/style of mirror though. Maybe there was a problem the dealer can fix.

Hope this helps.

Uncle Rog

truk, you hit it right on the head, on mine the DS is steady and the shotgun side is loose. Good description, the motor isn't holding.