RV flooring installer in DFW area

David-and-Cheryl

Somewhere on the interwebs--I think it was here on the HOF, but for the life of me I can't find it--I remember reading about a guy in the DFW area who specializes in installing laminate wood and luxury vinyl tile in RVs. Supposedly, he was "the best", whatever that means, but several owners thought highly of him. I think he was in the Cleburne area, or somewhere south/west of Fort Worth, but I'm not sure.

Does that ring a bell with anyone? If so, can you point me to this installer's contact info?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I can't help, but am curious when you find out!

FYI if you need good mobile tech or other service, Blue Moon RV Service in Carrollton is great. You can take it to them or they come to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David-and-Cheryl

Thanks Rex, I'll check him out. Your flooring looks great, and the photos were especially helpful since we also have a San Antonio. I'm considering the same material (Karndean), since a lot of other RVers seem to have used it successfully.

In your post, you said, "I have a few additional [tiles] that act as a slide-out slickers because once laid it stays put". So do you mean you put loose tiles on the floor where the slide rollers contact the main floor before closing the slides, and then pick them up after you open the slides? If so, is that necessary to prevent damage to the fixed tiles?

rxbristol

Thanks Rex, I'll check him out. Your flooring looks great, and the photos were especially helpful since we also have a San Antonio. I'm considering the same material (Karndean), since a lot of other RVers seem to have used it successfully.

In your post, you said, "I have a few additional [tiles] that act as a slide-out slickers because once laid it stays put". So do you mean you put loose tiles on the floor where the slide rollers contact the main floor before closing the slides, and then pick them up after you open the slides? If so, is that necessary to prevent damage to the fixed tiles?

We did to start with, but later we noticed we didn't need them and we no longer use any type of slicker. I have used some of the extra tiles to cover the pantry shelfs and a project where I took out the gas stove and inserted a induction cooktop. Where have you heard that other RV'ers are using the Karndean tiles?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We did to start with, but later we noticed we didn't need them and we no longer use any type of slicker. I have used some of the extra tiles to cover the pantry shelfs and a project where I took out the gas stove and inserted a induction cooktop. Where have you heard that other RV'ers are using the Karndean tiles?

Rex, I saw your old thread, and I found an install video that says they don't have to be glued, if you have a hard edge around the room to butt them to, they just dry lay and butt next to each other. They did recommend gluing around the edge if you don't have a hard edge. How were yours installed?

They made it look pretty easy to self-install, but of course preparation and precision are key factors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiO84zh9gUI

Last edited:

rxbristol

Rex, I saw your old thread, and I found an install video that says they don't have to be glued, if you have a hard edge around the room to butt them to, they just dry lay and butt next to each other. They did recommend gluing around the edge if you don't have a hard edge. How were yours installed?

They made it look pretty easy to self-install, but of course preparation and precision are key factors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiO84zh9gUI

Most is put down without a tackifier, but some areas needed it due to a lack of support along the edges. For example, we did not remove the carpet from under the bed--only cut it back as far a possible so the tile looks like it flows completely under the bed. We put the bed roller on the tile so it did not have to roll up onto the tile...works good.

- - - Updated - - -

Ha, it turns out it was a post by you on another thread here on the HOF! :)

I didn't think anyone else had used it in an RV. It's very durable, easy to install, but does add some weight. As my wife and I looked at all our options the Karndeen stood out as a great product. Removing the old staples was one of the hardest part of the job--at least 18 million of them.