Can i put bicycles inside?

shannonk

We just purchased a 2010 Edge M18. Our old pop up had a bike rack hitch on the back bumper which will not work on the Edge. Eventually we will get a hitch mounted rack for the bikes but we have a big trip coming up and don't have time to get that done before hand. Has anyone put bikes inside the trailer? I am thinking maybe on the bed lying flat? I don't want to damage anything inside our new trailer so I don't know if I should do that or not.

thanks

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
There are many people that travel with bikes on the bed, just be sure to protect the bed from dirt by using a tarp.
I personally would consider using some other protection at sharper points on the bikes by using some throw rugs.

Peace
Dave

Rollin_Free

Just went 600+ miles with one along the side of the bed with the front tire removed and 2 more padded and strapped to the table pedestal. Just make sure you provide adequate padding to protect your trailer fixtures.

I'm now going to start looking for a bike carrier that can be mounted to the top of the truck. After reading several post about rear mount failures I'm wanting to get the bikes riding on the truck instead of the back of the trailer. I'm convinced it's going to be a better location than the back of the trailer. Until then they will stay inside the trailer when traveling.

VKTalley

We just purchased a 2010 Edge M18. Our old pop up had a bike rack hitch on the back bumper which will not work on the Edge. Eventually we will get a hitch mounted rack for the bikes but we have a big trip coming up and don't have time to get that done before hand. Has anyone put bikes inside the trailer? I am thinking maybe on the bed lying flat? I don't want to damage anything inside our new trailer so I don't know if I should do that or not.

thanks

We carry our bikes inside our Big Country using a bike stand that I found on Amazon. ( https://www.amazon.com/Racor-PBS-2R...TF8&qid=1472696042&sr=8-16&keywords=Bike+rack ) They ride in the living room area between the two opposing slides. The rack is exactly the correct width for the space.

Oregon_Camper

I'm now going to start looking for a bike carrier that can be mounted to the top of the truck.

You might consider a hitch for the front of your truck. I have one that I use to carry a WR250 motorcycle, so no issue carrying some bikes. I had mine custom built to have 2 inserts. This method allows NO movement of the carrier. As a bonus....you can load your bikes without having to load bikes on top of your truck.

CarterKraft

I stumbled on a alternative method of bike storage recently. I implement this in the toy hauler garage but it might work in other areas of a RV.

I use the pipe bases for the garage table and the table pipes as vertical stanchions which the bikes are strapped to. I used to just throw the bikes (4) in a pile on the floor but that takes up a ton of room.
The vertical storage is awesome, takes up very little floor space and is pretty secure in my opinion.
A bike rack like above would be my second choice. The bed is probably a great place too but that would be a royal pain in my floor plan.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Our previous 2013 Heartland Trail Runner had the rear slide-out bumper rack, so we carried our bikes on that.

CamperSlideOutJacks-IMG_0510.jpg

Haven't taken the bikes with us since we got the Prowler last year as there really isn't enough room when the slides are in, and the bed isn't an option as it would be a major PITA to get them up there.

In our old Coachman TT I used to lean them against the bunk beds and was an easy ride for them.

Still trying to figure out a way to carry bikes in the Prowler, short of having to replace them with something smaller and lighter.

I may try to put them in front of the hitch in the bed of the truck, but eyeballing it makes me think that won't work.

Rollin_Free

I already thought of that as well but with a 6.5' bed I think turning would be hard on the bikes.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Harbor freight has cheap but durable furniture blankets that work well for protecting things from bikes traveling inside.

mlpeloquin

Harbor freight has cheap but durable furniture blankets that work well for protecting things from bikes traveling inside.

Along with removing the pedal on the non chain side for traveling if you are setting the bike(s) on the bed. Harbor Freight moving blankets are also good for crawling under the rig.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Harbor Freight has cheap but durable furniture blankets that work well for protecting things from bikes traveling inside.

Along with removing the pedal on the non chain side for traveling if you are setting the bike(s) on the bed. Harbor Freight moving blankets are also good for crawling under the rig.

I think they are also good for Harboring Freight! :cool: