3600RL-Ram 3500 DRW Real Experience ??

dap

Does anyone have some real world towing experience with a Dodge 3500 5.6Quad Cab, Cummins, 6 speed, DRW or SRW towing experience. We are in the begining stages of upgrading from a 36' motor home to a fifth wheel and truck. We really like the 3600RL. I used to drive semi's over the road in my younger days so I'm not worried about the towing part and I used to balancing my load and scaling a truck..... more concerned about setting up a nice balance rig that is stable enough to teach the wife how to help with some highway miles. Do I need DRW ? Do I need less truck / More Truck? When I review the towing specs this would appear to be a reasonable balance. How about short bed verses long bed? I realize the Big horn has some special features for a short bed. Oh yeah..... I am the type of person that has what he needs with him, so I trying to find this balance with a fully loaded rig and may even desire to put a small harley on the rear on the trailer... I welcome any productive information or real world experience. I'm hoping to do this right the first time.....

J-W&E

We have a 2005 Dodge 3500 diesel- 4.10 RE - 6 speed -Jake Brake. DRW. It handles the Grand Canyon very nice. Before the DRW, we had a 2004 Dodge SRW. The DRW provides MUCH MORE STABILITY. After pulling with the DRW, we would never go back to the SRW for a heavy trailer.

We found when pulling with a short box you get jerking on a rough road much worse than with the long box.

We had our Dodge dealer install the Jake Brake. Since you have driven semis, I'm sure you know how great this brake is in hills and mountains.

Good luck in your search. The wife LOVES to drive!!!!!

davebennington

We have a 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 with DRW and a Cummins, auto with the Jake brake and Long Bed. It pulls fine lots of power the ride is jerky and rough, I am trying to overcome that issue. We pull a Landmark/Golden Gate. According to the latest CAT scale ticket it weighs in at 22,400 ready to go camping.

Dave:)

Cheryl

Ours is a 2005 Dodge Dually Diesel 6-speed quad cab. We pulled our Golden Gate out to Colorado and back with no problems. It pulled up the mountains of WV with ease.
Hooked-up.jpg

dap

Thanks for all the responses. It sure helps my comfort level since it may be a few months before I have somethig heavy to tow. I'm looking at a 2004 Dodge Quad DRW LWB 4x4 Cummins (6 speed ... I still like the gears) with less than 40k miles this week end. I noticed that there is a 2004.5 year release. It appears to be a change in the motor to the HO model. Is this anything to worry about ?? The truck is about 1/3 less than a new one High 20's.

phranc

We have the Bighorn 3600RL w/ the dodge SRW, 4:10 axle...The trailer drops the body of the truck just 3 inches and the main leaves are about 3/4 in above the overloads. Carries the Bighorn really well and as you might expect power is more than enough. In my case the driveway/parking/house area dictated a SRW, and I saved money also.I also use truck for a personal vehicle.. If I didn't have a space problem, a good case could be made for a dually...