About to toss a tst sensor!!

IronJ

So twice now on my drive my tst has gone off indicating the temp was 300+ degrees...

The first time I freaked out, pulled over and ran around to the side with my infrared temp gun....but nothing...all axles same temp ..

Unscrew the sensor and it worked fine...

It briefly did it Again 400-500 miles later..

This is a brand new sensor also...??

Anyone experience this..

I have the repeater also so it's not a signal issue...

Maybe just a wacky sensor?

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

mlpeloquin

I had one a couple of years back my then new unit had sensors the reported low pressure and then another and and another. From 100 psi to 40 psi. After checking the pressure manually, I called the company. Seems they had a bad lot. The company who assembled them ran out of stock on a part and used a substitute part. I didn't even have to give the purchase or warranty information. They sent me new sensors and a envelope with postage to send the bad sensors back. No issues since with pressure or temperature.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Call TST, they will make it right. They've even overnighted a sensor to me when we were about to leave on a trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Piperflyer

Just sent back two sensors that weren't working at all. I had two brand new ones from TST sent out and got them in less than a week. Great Customer Service

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I've also had great service from TST. My monitor stopped reading the 510 sensors so I called them. Sent it to them with the sensors and they sent me a new set with the sensors already programmed and a diagram of which went where. Very friendly to talk with.

dlw930

I had one that leaked and one that broke at the collar where it screws onto the valve stem. Sent them to TST and they sent new ones. Now have one that won't sync with the monitor and a couple that read several psi low until miles down the road. The sensors on my truck duals make it nearly impossible to check pressure manually or to air up. Even putting on an 11" valve extension requires 4 hands and all half the size of mine. The sensors seem to work fine on the trailer tires.

TomMar

Retired Texas-South Chapter Leader
David - I had the same problem trying to reach my tire stems on the dually. I went on and bit the bullet and bought the wire braid extensions. There are small "L" brackets that I riveted to the hub cap and the outter ends use a nut on the bracket to hold them.
The attached pic may help. My TST units failed a couple years ago but this configuration makes it easy to check pressure and adding sensors would be a breeze.

2016-08-31 17.29.22.jpg

dlw930

David - I had the same problem trying to reach my tire stems on the dually. I went on and bit the bullet and bought the wire braid extensions. There are small "L" brackets that I riveted to the hub cap and the outter ends use a nut on the bracket to hold them.
The attached pic may help. My TST units failed a couple years ago but this configuration makes it easy to check pressure and adding sensors would be a breeze.

View attachment 47391

Thanks Tom. I was hoping to avoid using the extensions. Part of the problem is the cheap fake "chrome" plastic wheel covers/inserts Chevy put on the 2011-13 3500 Silverados. I would have to fasten the extensions to the steel wheel and not the plastic cover. I'm not sure there's enough room between the two for the anchor brackets.

TomMar

Retired Texas-South Chapter Leader
My Ford has those cheap plastic caps too. I used 1/8" rivets ahd they've held up pretty well on the last truck and this one. Travel Safe

Thanks Tom. I was hoping to avoid using the extensions. Part of the problem is the cheap fake "chrome" plastic wheel covers/inserts Chevy put on the 2011-13 3500 Silverados. I would have to fasten the extensions to the steel wheel and not the plastic cover. I'm not sure there's enough room between the two for the anchor brackets.

Lou_and_Bette

IronJ, while driving in very hot weather (Phoenix 110+) and once coming down a very long and steep grade, I have had the temp reading on my left front wheel register and alarm because of "excess" temperature. Like you, my IR thermometer indicated they were hot but not as hot as the sensor was reporting. That being said, the heat reported by my front two wheels is usually 30 degrees hotter than any other wheel on the truck or RV.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

So twice now on my drive my tst has gone off indicating the temp was 300+ degrees...

The first time I freaked out, pulled over and ran around to the side with my infrared temp gun....but nothing...all axles same temp ..

Unscrew the sensor and it worked fine...

It briefly did it Again 400-500 miles later..

This is a brand new sensor also...??

Anyone experience this..

I have the repeater also so it's not a signal issue...

Maybe just a wacky sensor?

You just cost me $13 on Amazon. I had to buy a temp gun to carry in the RV. That's a lot more accurate then the touch of my hand and safer too. I have one in the garage but one in the RV is a great idea. One more thing in my kit.

IronJ

You just cost me $13 on Amazon. I had to buy a temp gun to carry in the RV. That's a lot more accurate then the touch of my hand and safer too. I have one in the garage but one in the RV is a great idea. One more thing in my kit.
Well...you coulda stuck your tongue out to check....it's pretty accurate??..hahaha

But yeah...temp gun in truck console is handy,handy!! 13$ well spent..tires/hubs/brakes/ac/ whatever....