8" vs 10" new mattress

Deanne

We are in desperate need of a new mattress for our barley 1yr old North Trail 24BHS trailer. We bought this used and the current mattress is nothing more than a 2" bag of stuffing.

We don't go on long trips (have a 19mo old little one...). I want to purchase a 10" memory foam mattress but my husband says it will be too high and we will hit our head on the front rounded part of the trailer wall, where the head of our mattress will be. Does anyone have any advice on this? Is the extra 2" of mattress going to matter? I'm looking at purchasing the Perfect Cloud 8" memory foam queen short on Amazon.

Any advice you can provide to me would be greatly appreciated!

jimtoo

Hi Deanne,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure you will get more suggestions from some of our other NT owners soon.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

mlpeloquin

Still suffering with ours. It is a foam mattress that only after a few trips has a big unsupported dip. The biggest piece of junk anyone could manufacture. We will be replacing it this coming year with a Comfort Air. We have a select comport mattress at home for several years and love it.

SNOKING

We just had a custom 7" foam(not memory) mattress made for our new 2017 BH. Now I can sleep at night. The OEM memory foam mattress was like ST tires, cheap cheap cheap.

The new one is 1.5 softer foam, 4 inches of stiffer foam and 1.5 softer foam. We picked the overall effect and choose to go with higher quality foam which pushed the price to almost 1K while using the OEM fart sack from the original mattress. No more sink holes!

Chris

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
8" vs 10" new mattress

Just don't bring it home from the store like this guy! Passed him on I-20 south of the DFW metroplex. Air currents are pulling the components upward as he drives.

43ee6d7a1faa680562c0baddc91b1f4c.jpg

d9a2a565a569f3c802d5d566ca797541.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

We have a lady here in the park we're at who's husband was killed last Spring. He was riding his motorcycle and a mattress flew off a car in front of him.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
We tossed the OEM after buying a Serta king mattress from the bedding department at the local department store. Sleep comfort improved immediately

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Lyle and Nancy - is your king a 76X80 or 72X80? We have the narrow king and having a hard time finding a Serta or Tempurpedic mattress that's only 72" wide. In our Big Country we special ordered a medium firm foam mattress and it turned into junk just like the HL mattress.

travelin2

Lyle and Nancy - is your king a 76X80 or 72X80? We have the narrow king and having a hard time finding a Serta or Tempurpedic mattress that's only 72" wide. In our Big Country we special ordered a medium firm foam mattress and it turned into junk just like the HL mattress.

I'm not sure. I'll measure it tomorrow and post back here. I know it's a tighter fit into the slide opening than the OEM.
Lyle

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Re: 8" vs 10" new mattress

Erika, Did you get your mattress home OK???? Dave

Definitely not us!! I told Tony to get past him ASAP because I didn't want to try to avoid a mattress hauling a 42' fiver.

travelin2

I checked. I thought it was a Serta but it's a Sealy, oops! Anyway it's 74" wide. The slide opening width is 74" so it fits and we sleep much better!!

Deanne

I guess I should have been more specific!

We have / need a queen short - RV mattress. So, we are limited as to what we can buy. Anyone in the forum have a nice queen short that they love?

We were looking at the Perfect Cloud 10" gel max memory foam mattress. Anyone have any advice on this one?

Thanks!

Domi

We also got our NT used last year. We put a 2 inch 2 layer memery foam topper on it and that helpped a lot. It does move you a bit up front wall but it has not effected our sleeping at all. we tend to like to sleep ore upright so we stack pillows up the front wall anyway. I did find I needed some extra pillows to get more upright but we had those flaoting around the house so they just moved to the trailer.

I would say get what you want and thry make it work with extra pillows. If you had a way to add 2 inches to the bed temporarliy thst would also give you an idea of where you would sleep. Buying a topper from a store might be ceaper than getting the wrong matteres.

good luck,

John

travelin2

I checked. I thought it was a Serta but it's a Sealy, oops! Anyway it's 74" wide. The slide opening width is 74" so it fits and we sleep much better!!

You're welcome to see how it fits in the slide at your rally in a couple of weeks

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Thanks Lyle/Nancy. Would love to see how tight it is. Most of the bed stores around here think I'm crazy when I said I need a narrow king and they tell me nobody makes a narrow king. Hah.

Garypowell

Surprised no one has recommended https://www.lastingimpressionsfoam.com/ yet. First saw this site on this site.....liked the RV one so much we bought one for the sticks and bricks.

I think the extra thickness will not make much of a difference. Usually most say it is the top 2" - 3" that make all the difference.