Cyclone 3110 Pantry Shelves

U2fletch

Decided we wanted more kitchen storage in the pantry/coat closet. Walls are rather flimsy so I knew I would need rails to support the new shelves.

Measured the interior shape and made a CAD model of the area I wanted the shelves.

Pantry.jpg

From this model I CNC routed shelves from some 1/4" marine plywood I had available. I first cut a shelf from 1/2" MDO, then realized it would be a bit overkill for the intended purpose. We aren't planning on 50lbs of canned goods, so I used the first shelf as a test piece to confirm fit, then cut the rest from 1/4".

Router_1.jpgRouter_2.jpgRouter_3.jpg

I cut the rails from some 1.25" x 5/8 Oak, chamfered the edges, then used the CNC router again to make about 30 1/4" holes on 1.5" centers. Used small 1/4" stell shelf pins to hold the shelves. Added a small trim strip to the front of the shelves to prevent items from sliding off. Used a bead of hot glue to affix the rails to the existing closet walls, and installed the shelves. Turned out very strong, and my DW loves it!

IMAG0937.jpg

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
That looks like a home made CNC system. Pretty slick. The son of our CG made one big enough to do entry doors for the high-end cottages in the general area. Does signs and large plaques, as well. I have a couple of pieces of his work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

U2fletch

Very nice, But how many of us have a CNC machine? Can you say jealous?

Thanks! I found this guys website several years ago: www.buildyourcnc.com. Basically copied his general design and built my own. Total cost was just under $2k, and I use very heavy duty, industrial quality electronics. Can cut everything from carbon fiber, 3/4 ply, to milling circuit boards using a 1/32" endmill.

It's a very cool tool that I use for all sorts of things.