Hope I fixed corner leak, surprised at findings

agpopp

I have a 2007 2800rls 5th wheel. I bought it as is for a good deal from a local dealer last winter. I could see it had a leaking rear corner when I bought it. When camping in Hilton Head this month during some insane temperatures and humidity, the opposite corner showed signs of leaking with the unreal amount of AC condensate coming off the roof. Had a chance to take the rear corner trim off today and had made up my mind I was going to cut 4 inch eternabond into 2 inch strips and use it under the trim vertically. When I took the corners I was astounded and disappointed to find that the factory never put any putty tape on the trim at all!!!!. The only thing keeping the water out was a 1/16" bead of caulking. I've taken apart many campers as I do rv flips on the side, and I've never seen one that didn't have sealing tape under the trim, Gulf Stream, Coachmen and Forest River in the last 2 years alone. 5 dollars worth of material tops caused a fair amount of damage for no reason. I know my rig is ten years old, but still a serious let down.

Last edited: