Thermal Pane Windows

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
I know when I bought my 3950 - 4 months ago- this particular model was NOT available with dual-pane. Earlier models may be, but I was told by Heartland they may offer them at a later date on the 3950, but thus far, the model is too new and not enough demand for them. Makes sense to me. That being said, ask me how they work in the winter...say, about December...I'm currently full-timing in the Cyclone while working in Wyoming and will probably be here until well into the winter. Common to hit 25 below around here! :D

Luckyhat12

HT how are you gonna work your windows? I know that I had a lot of moisture on mine last winter and I am trying to determine what the best route is this year. I considered the plastic shrink wrap over the larger ones but I haven't made up my mind.

I don't get that cold here but I am considering heating and cooling costs.

We were in Kerrville, Tx where it's not that cold but we used the bubble wrap on our larger windows with two sided scotch tape to hold it on. It worked really well and you still get the light in and have a little more privacy at night if you want to leave the shades open. The large bubble wrap works best.

Luckyhat12

Are these windows standard enough that they can be replaced with double pane windows? I haven't really looked but I am curious at how much it would cost to put them in yourself.

I'd consider doing the two large ones in the slide out and doing the three in the bedroom and being done. I can handle the other ones. I know they aren't as efficient but there is much less heat tranfer through the smaller windows than there is through those large ones.

jbeletti

Chris,

Yes - they can be ordered and replaced. Fairly pricey. Probably cost you ~$2,000 (a guess).

Jim

Luckyhat12

What is the difference between thermal pane and dual pane? I kinda got an idea already but I wanted to see what the real answer was. I looked up thermal pane windows last night and they don't look any different than what I already have but I didn't look up dual pane.

Like Jim says...they are available. We have them on our 2009 Cyclone 4012.
I don't recall what they cost, but I think that option was about $1500 (probably varies by Cyclone dealer). They were not listed on the option but the factory rep at tthe show told us about them and we ordered ours with them.

IMO Worth every penny...the sound of silence when we have to park next to a road or freeway is golden.

SmokeyBare

LuckyHat,

As you've probably already guessed... it's my understanding the Dual pane are that only... no gas sealed between the panes of glass... just double glass.

Thermal pane windows are two panes of glass... sometimes they also have a film between them as well for "Low E"... and sealed on all 4 sides... charged with a gas to prevent moisture from getting between them ... whichif it does, will fog the glass sandwich as the sun steams the moisture.

I ordered dual pane glass for our Bighorn... and I'm so very pleased I did... they do keep some noise out... they do keep the condensation from building from temperature differences of inside air to outside air.

Luckyhat12

OK... that makes a little more sense. I just knew that the examples I was seeing online were different than what I pictured in my head. Thanks for the examples.

SmokeyBare

LuckyHat,

We had problems in the past with single pane windows... in some other brand of RV... but I doubt the brand of RV mattered all that much... because the windows were made by the same company...

During the summer months, with the humidity high and the A/C running... our windows would be covered with water drops on the outside.

During the cold weather months... we experienced that moisture on the inside of the RV... running the glass, making a puddle in the window frame channel.

Both cases it was difficult to see out the windows... Which is one of the reasons I wanted Dual Pane Windows in our BigHorn. Since we made that decision... I have found they really soften the sounds coming into the RV. So in my view... I got Double service from our decision... We have lived full time in our BigHorn for over 2 years now... and the windows are clear as the day we picked it up.

Marv

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Those of you that replaced the windows with dual pane, did you install them or have them installed. As stated above, the windows and other parts in a Bighorn are pretty well standard. Other Mfgrs use the same windows so you should be able to remove the existing ones and replace them with new dual pane.

Any thoughts about this.?/

Tom of Ypsi

Bob,

We had our dual pane windows installed this past August and they were installed in about 6 hours. They had to remove all of the window shades, curtains etc pull the old ones out and put the new ones in. The rear window 48" H X 72" W was the biggest problem both taking out and putting in. These windows are a lot heavier and the two men worked their proverbial butts off. It took Herr (window manufacturer) about 5 weeks to make the windows to Heartland specs and we love them. I will never have another single pane window in any other rv that I may buy.