What tires to get for our rig.

GregBassine

Hello to all,

We have a 2014 BH 3260EL for which a couple of months ago acquired new tires (LT 235/85R 16/14 Geostar G574 All Steel Highway). Before we head over to Vegas for the National Rally, we want to outfit our rig with new tires as well (2012 Chevy Silverado shortbed, Cummings Diesel/Allison transmission).

We are Les Schwab people through and through. With that said, what tires would you recommend we get that they sell, and which complements the RV tires we have? Same as our RV?

Any feedback you can share would be appreciated.

Greg & Char Bassine with wonder dog Cooper
2014 BH 3260EL / 2012 Chevy Silverado Diesel
2016 Coos Bay, Oregon Rally / 2016 Silverton, OR Rally
Upcoming Rally's: National Rally, Las Vegas

Gaffer

I just put new Toyo's on my Ram. I got the new RT. It is between the AT and MT. It still has alternating lugs like an MT but not as aggressive. I have run nothing but Toyo MT's on this truck since new and have been getting 50k out of them. The RT is a great looking tire.

mlpeloquin

I just put new Toyo's on my Ram. I got the new RT. It is between the AT and MT. It still has alternating lugs like an MT but not as aggressive. I have run nothing but Toyo MT's on this truck since new and have been getting 50k out of them. The RT is a great looking tire.

Had Toyo tires on my 1989 Nissin truck. Change them out at 56K miles. May have gone 70+, but when wet it was like driving on ice. I lived back east and know what driving on ice is. Changed then out for Pirelli Tires. Wow what a difference in gripping. The Toyo's were a good reliable long millage tire that gave good gas millage, but were really slick on wet pavement. I have not purchased Toyo since because of the past wet pavement experience. The rubber compound must have been changed a while back, but my memory of the tires being so un-gripping has made me not consider them. I use Bridgestone, Goodyear, or Michelin tires. I did purchase a set of six Firestone's for the class C and they seemed to be very good on handling and were holding up well before I sold it.

Jim.Allison

Cummins? As for the tires, I don't think you can beat the performance and price of the North American made Firestone Transforce (AT or HT) for your Silverado.

Jim.Allison

Uh, that would be me, funning the OP who has a Silverado with the "Cummings" and the Allison transmission. Just funnin him mind you. And I am a current RAM Owner but I have an ASIN transmission, and it has a 6.7 Cummins driving it.

I'm thinking you meant Duramax. Are you by any chance a previous Ram owner?

Rollin_Free

Uh, that would be me, funning the OP who has a Silverado with the "Cummings" and the Allison transmission. Just funnin him mind you. And I am a current RAM Owner but I have an ASIN transmission, and it has a 6.7 Cummins driving it.

😀😄🤓. I knew that. I got caught as well awhile back using Anderson instead of Andersen. No harm done or meant. Spirit of the adventure meeting others with the same interests is what it's all about. Have great fall travels.

GregBassine

OK, OK.... That's what you get being an older fart and operating on a couple of hours sleep. I just wanted to see if you guys were on the ball. Now that is put to bed <sigh>, any more feedback on which tires a rig like mine would like the best? Again, the decision for us is not what brand of tire, but what brand of tire that Les Schwab handles that would work the best. Make sense? I'm very loyal that way, but then I stand up for the National Anthem and put my hand across my heart too.

Gaffer

Had Toyo tires on my 1989 Nissin truck. Change them out at 56K miles. May have gone 70+, but when wet it was like driving on ice. I lived back east and know what driving on ice is. Changed then out for Pirelli Tires. Wow what a difference in gripping. The Toyo's were a good reliable long millage tire that gave good gas millage, but were really slick on wet pavement. I have not purchased Toyo since because of the past wet pavement experience. The rubber compound must have been changed a while back, but my memory of the tires being so un-gripping has made me not consider them. I use Bridgestone, Goodyear, or Michelin tires. I did purchase a set of six Firestone's for the class C and they seemed to be very good on handling and were holding up well before I sold it.

I live in Oregon. It rains here 9 months a year. No problem with the Toyo MT on wet, icy or snowy roads with a heavier truck.

alexb2000

I used to be a Michelin fan, but the sidewall cracking just wore me out. I don't care what you do they crack. I had a vehicle that drove 6k per year and sat in a garage with no windows, they still cracked after 1 year. Michelin just kept saying it was cosmetic and wouldn't replace them. When I traded in or sold a vehicle they always dinged me for the sidewall cracking. That and I just hated the way they looked with all that cracking down by the rims.

I then started using Bridgestone Dueller AT's. Good tire, but I would call the tread life so/so and the noise was high for an AT after 20K or so.

My explorer has Firestone AT's, I bought them because I got them cheap, I really like them and they have been wearing well. No complaints other than marginal off-road performance.

My new F250 came with Toyo AT's. Probably my favorite tire currently, quiet, good ride, good traction off-road, good in rain, we'll see about snow in a couple of months as I spend a lot of time in Taos, NM.

Anyway, if I had to buy tires today it would be the Toyos.

Jim.Allison

I used to be a Michelin fan, but the sidewall cracking just wore me out. I don't care what you do they crack.

My explorer has Firestone AT's, I bought them because I got them cheap, I really like them and they have been wearing well. No complaints other than marginal off-road performance.

Once I had a set of Continentals, that cracked (checked) about every six months. I had 50k replacement warranties on the set. The manager with NTW replaced them every time I complained. At the time I was traveling all over Texas, when those tires got about 30k on them, I would take them in and get a new set, I guess the manager did not understand how that warranty worked, I knew I was taking advantage of him after about the 3 set. Well one day I went in to get my new set of tires, but there was a new manager, needless to say my "free ride" was over. I laughed and bought a new set of tires but they were not Continentals.

I to have the Transforce AT, and they are a great buy at TireRack and my firestone dealer matches TireRack. Best part is my size is made in the USA, but the rest are made either in the USA or in N. America.

alexb2000

Once I had a set of Continentals, that cracked (checked) about every six months. I had 50k replacement warranties on the set. The manager with NTW replaced them every time I complained. At the time I was traveling all over Texas, when those tires got about 30k on them, I would take them in and get a new set, I guess the manager did not understand how that warranty worked, I knew I was taking advantage of him after about the 3 set. Well one day I went in to get my new set of tires, but there was a new manager, needless to say my "free ride" was over. I laughed and bought a new set of tires but they were not Continentals.

I was about to ask you for the name of that manager, HA, good story.

All this talk makes me want to go out and hand rub another coat of 303 on the 614's, those better not crack!

Grey Ghost

You know I've Michelins on my 5ver for a number of years now and have never had a problem with cracking. I keep them covered when parked but it sits outside in Arizona heat all year long. I tried all those so called trailer tires and the new and improved trailer tires along with some lite truck tires from some other companies, but always go back to my Michelins. I hate sitting along side the Interstate with traffic going by at 80mph in 120 degree heat with a wife that is getting more upset with every passing moment. My Michelins give me peace of mind and I will stay with them. Just saying light truck tires are the way to go for me. Have fun out there and be careful!!