Cummins Diesel Website!

lbuck

Nice Truc

Truck looks like one parked outside my door. Purchased 15 months ago now has 30,00 miles been to Mexico and back to Nova Scotia last year this winter we are in Florida. been looking for new 5th and came across a 2006??? Big Horn yesterday very impressed could be the one.
Doe's anyone out there have an opinion on the Big Horn. Thanks Lbuck

J

Jeff

Big Horn 5th Wheel!

Hello LBuck:

If you have by chance looked at a Heartland Landmark, then you will be very impressed with the Big Horn.

The Big Horn is in the Montana 5th Wheel price catagory, meaning it is about $20,000 less than the Landmark.

The Same quality in craftsmanship are still present. You really can't see the difference on the inside. The unit is very well built.

What else can I tell you about the Big Horn. Please let us know.

Jim Beletti and I were both just at the Heartland factory 2 weeks ago and saw alot of Big Horns in production. And they are selling like Hot Cakes.

Welcome to the Forum too.

I hope we can help you make a decision on either the Big Horn or the Landmark.

Hope to talk to you soon.

Jeff

Phil Smith

Retired South Carolina Chapter Leader
HI Lbuck,

I have to agree with you on how nice the Bighorn is. I just ordered the 3200RL last week. It should be arriving in 2-3 weeks. I'll get some pics for the web site when it arrives ans will be able to give you updates as we get it out and about. (Its 9 degrees this am in the Carolinas-Maybe I shouldn't rush things):rolleyes:

The usnit we ordered will have the Palm Springs Blue color scheme.

Phil

Tom of Ypsi

Ford is coming out with a new engine also supposedly with twin turbos with a new body style for 07 or 08. I imagine GM will be doing the same. With the emision standards getting stricter all of the time we should be breathing easier. Now if they could come up with an American truck iwth guts to get us off our oil dependency.

struckman

We are interested in 3600RL or 3655RD Big Horn, both 38'. We are also having to update on a diesel truck to pull with. My question is purchasing a 2003-2500 Dodge 5.9 SLT. Will this truck be realiable to pull the weight of this Big Horn. (Dry weight 12,200)? Thank you for any responses.

Trap

You'll be able to do it but you will be over on Payload with the pin weight of those units.

struckman said:
We are interested in 3600RL or 3655RD Big Horn, both 38'. We are also having to update on a diesel truck to pull with. My question is purchasing a 2003-2500 Dodge 5.9 SLT. Will this truck be realiable to pull the weight of this Big Horn. (Dry weight 12,200)? Thank you for any responses.
--------------

No doubt you'll be over weight by the time you add gas, water, food stuffs, clothing, tools, etc......

You don't say if your Ram is a Quad Cab, 4 x 4, long/short bed, or rear end gear ratio ( 3.73 is standard & 4.10 is for towing). These features add weight to your overall maximum towing weight.

Generally figure 1500 to 2000 pounds added to any manufacturers dry weight. Plus many manufacturers don't add up the options that customers add to their trailers. Like awnings etc...

You can go to http://www.trailerlife.com/output.cfm?id=1073737
and check out the spec's there for towing maximums.

Probably a better choice, if you want to stay with a Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel would be to get a 3500 series or get some air bags put on your 2500.

HTH,
Bill B. (Michigan)

phranc

Leaving the weight issue aside for just a moment and addressing the reliability subject ...Once you add the diesel option to either the 2500 or the 3500 they have essentially the same running gear and cooling system..There's not a lot of significant difference between the models. So reliability would be the same. I think that 2003 has 305 HP and would be more than equal to the task.

rowdy ace

bighorn

WE have been fulltiming in a 3400Rl for three months and love the unit.
lbuck said:
Truck looks like one parked outside my door. Purchased 15 months ago now has 30,00 miles been to Mexico and back to Nova Scotia last year this winter we are in Florida. been looking for new 5th and came across a 2006??? Big Horn yesterday very impressed could be the one.
Doe's anyone out there have an opinion on the Big Horn. Thanks Lbuck

jbeletti

More info on the Cummins 6.7 Liter TD

Adding to what Bill B posted about, back in May, I received an email today from Cummins.com with more info. in the new CTD for the Dodge HD trucks for 2007 (those built "after" December).

Jim

Attachments

• 6.7_liter_CTD.pdf
    69.7 KB · Views: 29

5erWonk

Just got my new 2006 Ram Mega Cab 2500 CTD back from the body shop after $14K worth of work......Trying to figure my options. There was no frame damage only body panels....The shop did a great job on the rig, looks brand new, unforunately they've had it longer than I have.

Consider:

It has lost ~$8K of value.

It laid on its side for 4hrs after the accident.

There was no damage to the front half of the vehicle.

The right rear wheel was hit hard enough to require replacement of the leaf spring.

Questions:

Are there any engine issues I should be concerned about with it laying on its side?

What about possible rear end damge when the right rear wheel got smashed?

Would you bite the bullet and trade it for a '07?

I'd appreciate all input.

C

Chulinw

I have been waiting for the Dodge dealer local to get in the new 6.9 ltr Dodge with the auto six speed transmission so I can drive it. I think I will get on if they ever get one local. I talk to them and they are waiting they told me. Seem like they want to get the 5.9 off the lot first before they start stocking the new Dodge with 6.9.

phranc

5er wonk
Are there any engine issues I should be concerned about with it laying on its side?
Not unless the engine was running when laying on side

What about possible rear end damge when the right rear wheel got smashed?
Any way you could have a shop inspect rear end housing to see if it has been bent?
If there is no visable signs of damage ,then just drive it,,If a bearing has been cracked or if the axel is bent some ,I think you would know soon..

Would you bite the bullet and trade it for a '07?
Considering that you have already taken a hit on depreciation and would take more on a trade ,I think I might wait and see how present truck works out.. That would give the new 6.7 and the 6 sp auto trans time to prove themselves.
And whew , thats a lot of body damage,,Good luck..

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

I agree with Phranc on this one. Taking a hit like that is a tuff one. I would really like to trade my O5 Duramax for an 07 but I will wait a few years until the new changes have the bugs worked out. Good Luck

5erWonk

Hey guys, I appreciate the input. Everything you say makes a lot of sense, unfortunatly I'm still wrestling with having a brand new truck trashed, and not my fault.

I had my tire/suspension guy do a four wheel alignment check today and everything is square. It's time to get over it and take the extra money I would spend on a new TV and spend it on toys for the new BigHorn.....Only 16 days and counting.