North Trail Roof Bubles

North Trail Roof Bubbles

We picked up our North Trail 23 in May. It was a 2014 but it was new and is under full warranty. In June we installed a vent cover and took that opportunity to inspect the roof thoroughly and touch up a little bit of caulking - all was well. Last month I went back up to to inspect and found numerous mid sized bubbles had appeared, in numerous places but predominantly at the leading and trailing edges (front and back). I am assuming this may be where the greatest lift is caused by the airflow over the trailer. We took the trailer back to the dealer who says they are normal and nothing to worry about. So my question is, should I worry, are the number, size and location of these bubbles normal, or is this a problem that will grow?

Here's a few pictures:

Front

Rear

mid roof

Any input would be appreciated

Last edited:

TBK2

Re: North Trail Roof Bubbles

I've heard from lots of dealerships that it is "normal". I personally don't feel like it's normal, though. In my opinion the original application wasn't done correctly, the glue holding the roof tight is failing, or there is water intrusion. The ones that would worry me the most are the ones by the edge, because that's where you're likely to have water intrusion - around the edges and any type of vents. I see lots of campers and campgrounds have worse bubbles than that, and don't have any known leaks inside, and appear to have been that way for quite some time.

I guess if it were me, I'd just continue to watch it. Maybe even do a reseal, on at least the edge areas where there is bubbling. I'd think an hour, a tube or two of self leveling dicor, putty knife, and a blow dryer/heat gun to warm up the old caulk and at least you'd know it's sealed good.

Thanks TBK2. One of my biggest concerns is that the bubbles are right at the leading and trailing roof edges where movement might eventually cause detachment by the membrane, but it also causes the caulking to flex rather dramatically - and I'm doubting the caulking was ever meant to flex that much.

bmowery

I would have to agree with TBK2, normal is a relative term. I doubt that would be considered correct coming off of the manufacturing line. I would not agree that you should continue to watch it or do a reseal. I would utilize the warranty to have the issue resolved, not with a fix so it doesn't get worse, but a fix that returns it to the way it looked coming off of the manufacturing line and ensures the proper measures are taken to guarantee it doesn't come back.

TBK2

Sorry, I missed that you said it was under warranty. That's a no brainer, go in and demand they fix it.