2007 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax

JeremyN

Hello Everyone,

Long time without posting on here, but I have a question for everyone. I currently own a 2007 NBS Silverado 2500HD CCSB with the 6.0L engine. I tow a 2011 North Trail 28BRS, but have plans to go to a 5th wheel in the next year or so. No problems with power in my current truck and it tows my trailer very well.

I came across a 2007 OBS GMC Sierra 2500HD CCSB with the Duramax today. This has the sought after LBZ Duramax that many people have told me to aim at getting. It is in mint condition, and has 58,000 miles on it. As far as I can tell now, it is bone stock. Just different tires and rims. The dealer is asking $34,995 for it, and around my area, that is actually pretty reasonable for a diesel with only this many miles on.

The last thing I want to do here is get into a gas vs diesel debate, but I just want to get your opinion on a few things. I talked to a couple very good friends in the auto industry, and they both said they were hesitant on saying "get the diesel!" They both pointed out a few things to me:

1. The truck is 10 years old already. What issues might be popping up in the next 10,000 miles that you will never expect see on the test drive? A new gas truck shouldn't have any issues.......

2. The tow rating on this 2007 diesel is lower than the tow rating on many of the new gas powered trucks these days.

3. Amenities. The older trucks just don't have as many bells and whistles as the new trucks do.

4. Frames. The new HD trucks from GM have much improved frames and suspension that will be much better for towing.

This is just a few of their points that they brought up to me. But I wanted to get all of your opinions. Especially from people that have a new gas powered GM, or a 2006 or 2007 Duramax.

In your opinion, does it pay for me to look at trading in my current truck, for this Duramax? Or, would I be better off waiting to get a 2016 gas powered 2500HD?

I am not in a position to spend $60,000, so a new diesel is out of the question for me. I just want to study up and make sure I make the best decision. I always use my trucks for at least 6-7 years, and then trade them in, so will resale on this Duramax in 6-7 years be an issue? Also, I plan on purchasing a fifth wheel that has a GVWR of about 11,000-12,000 lbs.

Thanks!

Jeremy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim.Allison

The tow rating on a diesel equipped truck is directly related to the weight of the motor and transmission, and not to the ability of the powertrain. 58K miles is just barely enough miles to break in a diesel. 500K is not uncommon for a diesel motor. When you put that gasoline motor into service it will see hard miles, to develop the torque and HP to move your rig you will be running higher RPMs. You will pay in wear and tear, and in fuel usage. While it is not necessarily a cost saving measure to purchase a diesel over a gasoline when they are new, the choice would be easy between a well taken care of Duramax or a gasoline model. I would choose the Duramax. BTW you did not mention what gasoline motor you were running. The 454 is a worthy gasoline motor and has a transmission to back it up.

My advice would be to look for a used RAM 6.7 either 2500 or 3500 and be done with the whole issue. Then you would get all the bells and whistles you are looking for.

JeremyN

Jim, I currently have a 6.0L gas motor in my truck.

I have been keeping my eye out for an 8.1L with the Allison transmission, but those are really hard to find!

avvidclif

You might try finding the RV you like and want first. Then match the truck to it. You might discover the RV you really want is not compatible with the truck you just got.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Personally, I'd skip the 10 year old truck and go for a much newer, if not new one!

When I bought my 2015 2500HD two years and one week ago it was way more truck than I needed for the 2013 Heartland Trail Runner TT we had.

But after some major suspension issues with the trailer, we had it fixed and decided to trade it in right away.

So we ended up choosing our Prowler based on the towing specs of the truck.

Had I known we were going to switch to a 5th-wheel as soon as we did, I probably would have gotten a diesel . . . and most likely a dually!

However, there are some light weight 5'vers out there . . . you just have to search them out!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Kinda of how we did it. Bought the rig on a delayed possession and then bought the truck for it. And trailer salesmen usually don't have a clue on what truck you really need. Go big.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
As far as the 2007 model year watch the brake lines. GM has a TSB indicating that the brake lines could rust out and fail suddenly depending on model etc.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We had a 2004 GMC that was starting to have a number of tiny issues in 2015. -- but add them up and it could be big $$. Knowing we wanted to upgrade our 5ver at some point, we looked at used trucks. Down here in Texas, there's a lot of them. I used Cars.com to locate the specific specs we wanted -- DRW, Crew cab, GMC or Chevy, Duramax with Alison transmission, as well as the color (no black or white!), the mileage and price point we wanted. Came up with about 7 choices within 250 miles. We drove about 3 hours to check one out, and purchased it. (a 2013, see our sig).

JeremyN

Well, I think I am going to take a look at the Duramax on Friday. The dealership sent more pictures over, and the truck is just spotless. Can't wait to take it for a drive and see if it drives as good as it looks. And hopefully it looks as good in person as it does in the pictures.