Goo Gone

BigGuy82

OK - so this isn't earth shaking and I'm sure most of you know this, but apparently I've been in the dark lo these many years.

While attempting to remove an annoying label from my Bighorn (no, not a required safety label - in this case the annoying advertising label for Tight Trun Technology (Beware of Imitations! ... or some such nonsense), I found that Heartland was kind enough to use a glue that was nearly impossible to get off. I tried it all ... olive oil, warm water, heating with a hair dryer, alcohol ... nothing would touch this junk. As I was mumbling some very colorful descriptions of my experience, my neighbor wandered over and asked if I ever tried Goo Gone. I figured what the heck - can't hurt. So, following directions, I put this stuff on a rag (a little goes a long way), dabbed it all over the glue spot, let it sit for a couple of minutes and then took the edge of a credit card and just pushed the goop into a blob. I wiped it off with a soft cloth, hit it with lots of water, dried it and viola! Glue gone. I then hit it with a generous coat of Carnauba wax and it is as if the ugly factory sticker never existed. My coach is once again pristine, as nature intended ...

Anyway, the purpose of this post is just to let you know about this little gem of a product that really handles a common problem well.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I was just using some Goo Gone today as I was waxing my truck I had to remove some pine pitch.

Peace
Dave

BigGuy82

See post#13...I did the same on my Bighorn. We paid a lot for full body paint, so having those stickers were not what I wanted.

https://heartlandowners.org/showthr...ody-Paint-Unit?p=441256&viewfull=1#post441256

Yeah, I also remoived the same one with the picture of the excavator on it. You know, really, I can see Heartland putting their advertising on the coach so that it might encourage potential buyers to focus on those features, but do they need to use a nearly permanent glue? Why not a sticker that can be easily removed by the buyer?

Oh well ...

mlpeloquin

Run out of Goo Gone try WD40. Removes tar, gum, most glue. Great emergency tar remover on the road. Front was covered and I mean covered with black tar. I was able to get it all off with WD40. Then cleaned it off with Zep window cleaner and waxed it.

BigGuy82

Run out of Goo Gone try WD40. Removes tar, gum, most glue. Great emergency tar remover on the road. Front was covered and I mean covered with black tar. I was able to get it all off with WD40. Then cleaned it off with Zep window cleaner and waxed it.

Never tried it for adhesive removal but obviously, it works. I'd be concerned about the fact that it's petroleum based so my guess is you'd need to get it off the finish real quick. The Goo Gone is a citrus based product and while I wouldn't leave it on the surface for a long time either, it does seem pretty mild. It actually smells like oranges.

rhodies1

OK - so this isn't earth shaking and I'm sure most of you know this, but apparently I've been in the dark lo these many years.

While attempting to remove an annoying label from my Bighorn (no, not a required safety label - in this case the annoying advertising label for Tight Trun Technology (Beware of Imitations! ... or some such nonsense), I found that Heartland was kind enough to use a glue that was nearly impossible to get off. I tried it all ... olive oil, warm water, heating with a hair dryer, alcohol ... nothing would touch this junk. As I was mumbling some very colorful descriptions of my experience, my neighbor wandered over and asked if I ever tried Goo Gone. I figured what the heck - can't hurt. So, following directions, I put this stuff on a rag (a little goes a long way), dabbed it all over the glue spot, let it sit for a couple of minutes and then took the edge of a credit card and just pushed the goop into a blob. I wiped it off with a soft cloth, hit it with lots of water, dried it and viola! Glue gone. I then hit it with a generous coat of Carnauba wax and it is as if the ugly factory sticker never existed. My coach is once again pristine, as nature intended ...

Anyway, the purpose of this post is just to let you know about this little gem of a product that really handles a common problem well.

WD40 works just as well and you don't have to work about the chemicals in the product deteriorating your finish.

BigGuy82

WD40 works just as well and you don't have to work about the chemicals in the product deteriorating your finish.

To each his own. WD40 is petroleum based so why would I trust it on my finish? Plus, it stinks. Outside of that I'm sure it works fine. A bottle of Goo Gone costs about four bucks.

wdk450

Goo Gone stinks, too. I used some to get some Shoe Goo residue off of my pants. The pants are going to the laundry today.

Carleen

Ugh- on the subject of stickers... Our trailer was purchased used. It was in AZ for about 5 years or so (to my best guess). There was a "www.HEARTLANDRV.com" vinyl sticker on the back. I think it was supposed to be clear with black letters now faded to a dark amber with black letters. I tried heat to remove it and quickly realized it was so baked- the adhesive turned to power, stinky, crunchiness. I had to use a knife- yes a knife- to remove it from the back fiberglass cap. Then I had to sand the adhesive off with a fine grit sand paper. Then I noticed it stained the fiberglass a blue-green color. I sanded some more and re-shined with McGuires fiberglass buffing compound. It is now better looking than the rest of the trailer (I still need to wax the whole coach). You can still see hints of the staining, but I hope it will fade over time. For anyone with new coaches out there- remove the unneeded stickers before it's too late!

Relayman

I purchased a small bottle og Goo Gone today and removed the infamous " Tight Turn Technology" sticker ( which left ALL the adhesive on the finish even after using a heat gun ) then used the G.G. as instructions said...and it worked great !!! ( after some coaxing with a credit card and rubbing vigorously). waxed er ip and alls well !!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

MTPockets

I was working on a troublesome sticker a few years ago, coming in & out of the RV getting various untinsels' from a drawer. June asked what I was doing, so I told her and continued the in and out trying various substances and gentle scraping so I wouldn't damage the finish... After 20 minutes or so, June said, here try this. She reaches into one of her secret stashes and pulls out something called Goo be Gone.... I try it, it works.... Women.....!

mlpeloquin

must be different stuff - Goo Gone smells like oranges - in fact, like a LOT of oranges

Yes it smells like oranges, because it is made from a natural turpentine extract from orange peals. It is a rosin gotten form orange peals rather than distilled from pine rosin. It is a solvent. A natural one that has been used to clean flux off of circuit boards used in pace makers. Sine it is a natural turpentine the FDA approved its use for cleaning all sorts of food equipment as well.

Carleen

Goo Gone is way better for sticky messes. Goof Off is great for sap, tar, and other hard-not so sticky but staining messes.

Carleen
2011 Ford F-350 6.7
2011 Big Horn 3585RL