Insurance. Are you properly protected?

MTPockets

Does your RV insurance give you the coverage you really want, or need? I am by no means an insurance expert, but wanted to share a "discovery" some may already know about, but I guess others probably don't know. We have had full timers coverage for the past 4+ years and discussed at length with the agents the coverages so we would be properly protected. And, always felt comfortable with what we had. Due to June's injury, we can't use the Big Horn, so it is now for sale for a bargain price and currently on an RV Consignment lot. What I learned about insurance is that our policy does not cover the unit if in the hands of a dealer or consignment agent; nor did mine offer a rider. Doing some research I found that is the case with most insurers. The thinking being that it's out of our control, therefor no insurance. We did find coverage and switched. It made me wonder too, how many other coverage gaps do we live with due to lack of knowledge...

MCTalley

We, too, have our 3950FB at a consignment lot. At the time we were taking it down there, I checked and found that the insurance it was currently covered under (Good Sam via National General) does not offer consignment coverage. We had put our current rig under Blue Sky insurance, so I checked with them and they did offer consignment riders, so we switched the other rig over to them as well.

The sad part was that when I told all this to the gentleman at the consignment lot who was drawing all the paperwork up for me, he said most people generally don't tell their insurance about it being up for consignment and some even cancel their insurance. I went ahead and covered mine, anyway. It was less than $200 a year for the rider. I can just picture someone suing me for tripping over something in our unit while looking through it.

Jim-Lynn

Ours is quite simple in Ontario...
Your pulling the rig - under truck insurance
Parked at home - under home insurance
At the dealers - they by law have to have coverage
So we pay insurance for when in the campsite or in public storage.
Mine is insured for replacement costs as well.
I would need additional insurance if my rig is in the States for more than 6 months, less 1 day.
Full timing in it - I am not sure, but should be the same rates I would think.

Jim

MTPockets

Ours is quite simple in Ontario...
Your pulling the rig - under truck insurance
Parked at home - under home insurance
At the dealers - they by law have to have coverage
So we pay insurance for when in the campsite or in public storage.
Mine is insured for replacement costs as well.
I would need additional insurance if my rig is in the States for more than 6 months, less 1 day.
Full timing in it - I am not sure, but should be the same rates I would think.

Jim
. Canadian may be quite different than in the states. We were full time with no home, so rates are higher. Home owners liabilities insurance extend to the RV, but if no home it has to be added. I'm sure dealers here are required to have insurance for things that are their fault, but not necessarily liability if someone falls inside your rig, or if it is stolen, or certain parts stolen.

Re: Insurance, are We Fully Protected

Our USAA policy does not offer full replacement insurance for our 5er. Has anyone had any experience with Good Sam, they say they do have full replacement and forpersonal effects.

Garypowell

We recently went with GS since our Blue Sky insurance went sky high. I mean like doubled. Told by most we spoke to this usually indicates a company wants to get out of a state....Florida in our case. We had no claimed.

But in discussing this replacement option (which we have) the agent told us we get "the oldest model we have that they can find".

So so if I total the 2013 3010 model and they can find another 2013 that has been sitting on the dealers lot that is like mine.....that's what I get.

Granted I would hope they could not find one but it could be defined as "new". The obvious concern is what could be wrong with that unsold 2015 they find sitting in the TX heat for 3+ years!

i was able to raise the settled price for our rig by $14,000 since I had so many mods (IS, disc brakes, induction cooktop, dish washer, washer/dryer) on the unit.....otherwise they base everything on the sale price of the unit.

GregP

We are also from Ontario and I have my unit stored with a local dealer. At the time of storage, we had to provide proof that we were insured. I believe that the dealers carry insurance for those things that are their responsibility, but we have to carry our own, separate, insurance for liability. Since we are only storing the unit with the dealer, they do not have keys or access to the interior spaces so could not be liable for defects or negligence on our part which might affect another party. Their insurance would cover acts or omissions on their part which damage or injure others.