Ferry Ate Our Bighorn

SeattleLion

Last Thursday we took the Keller Ferry across the Columbia river. It's a small boat that can hold a semi. We've taken it several times before on our way to Curlew Lake state park. Unknown to us, at the time, a new deckhand had us load onto a side lane (thee are 3 lanes). This is one of those boats with an arch that holds the wheelhouse. The clearance in the center lane is 15 ft. On the far side it is only 11ft. We've been loaded that way once before. We had no issues. The deckhand directed us correctly to avoid hitting the arch.

Not last week. The deckhand got us on with no problem, but directed me to pull straight off. The rear cap caught on the arch and before he told us to stop, had broken the corner off (still held on by something, but the fiberglass is separated). In addition, the roof was torn. It took over an hour for a supervisor to arrive and figure out how to unload us without further damage. We ended up dropping the trailer from our pickup. Then a front end loader from the DOT, very gently raised the nose which lowered the back of our trailer. It moved us forward enough to clear the beam, then we rehitched and went to the maint parking area on shore. The maintenance team used a lot of silicone and duct tape to temporarily seal the gaps and we went up to the park.

The state accepted all responsibility. My collision insurance is handling the claim. It looks like well over $15,000 in damage (a new end cap and a new roof). There doesn't appear to be anything structurally hurt.

Needless to say we are bummed by this mess. To make matters worse, if the fixes aren't completed before the rains get going here, we won't be able to put the trailer in our side yard where we normally park it. I have no idea how long it will take Heartland to make us a new rear cap. At least there will be no delay from our insurance. Geico is great about claims. They will be able to get all the money from the State. I was called by the Washington torts department who informed me that all that is needed is the estimate and completing a form. Thankfully, there is no question about liability.

If the repairs take much more than a month, we will have no place to put our camper.

Just the latest news from us.

Bob

Rangelady

How awful, I hope all works out to your satisfaction. If you have to store it out of the elements, will they pay at also?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

GETnBYE

So sorry! We have been thru the damage/repair thing and it is just the pits. All I can say is, it will pass. I know that's no help, but all we can offer is our good thoughts for a good repair.
Anita

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
So sorry to hear, I know it makes you sick. Hope the repairs go well.

When I read the headline of the thread, I honestly thought the rig was sunk! Glad to read it was not "lost".

shelsay

So sorry to hear about your problem. In July we put our rig on the Port Townsend to Whidby Island ferry on our way to the Anacortes rally. I had trepidations, but all went well and it was a wonderful ride. Hang in there and hopefully everything will be made right.

Pat

Power247

Oh man :(. What an experience. I hope they get you fixed up quickly. At least you aren't having to fight it out for the expenses. A small consolation but one less thing to worry about.

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
That sucks Bob! Sorry to hear about your experience but glad that they are stepping up and taking responsibility.

Rod

wdk450

Can't you put a large tarp (or 5th wheel cover) over the rig while it is sitting outside pre-repair? If the tarp/cover is tied down sufficiently, you might even be able to tow the rig at slow speed to the repair facility with the covering in place.

Jim.Allison

Personally I don't think that a RV cover to preserve the RV is out of order, and should be added to the final bill easily. Your insurance company will be looking to recover all your damages and a cover quite frankly is just not that large of a line item to be disputed by anyone. I would buy it and submit it with all the other damages as a legitimate expense involved with securing the rig while waiting for repairs. I would cover it using the best material I could, and perhaps you will walk away with the cover as a nice parting gift.

Grampafish

Washington Chapter Leaders-Retired
Bob and Kim, Sorry to hear about your tribulations. Looks like time and patience are all that are required at this point. Good luck and we'll see you down the road.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Bob and Kim,

If you need a cover, let me know. We have a brand new RV Cover that is still in an unopened box.

Rod

donr827

Most insurance companies want you to try and prevent further damage to the trailer due to the accident.
Don

TheWade2

We have been on the Port Townsend ferry. Our first time with our rig. It was a little unnerving. It was pretty cool, though. In looking at the ferry while on it, I could just imagine the problems that could be had. We are so sorry for your problem. Glad to see they have stepped up and taken responsibility! Good luck to you and your rig!

jam20ster

I know the feeling! Just had a new roof put on a 2016 Cyclone 4200. Seems that DOT doesn't always keep the trees trimmed back and a limb rubbed some holes in the back corner. Over $12K in repair. Our insurance covered it, but because I cant point out which tree it was in which state, it was considered my fault. What can you do?