Range/microwave outside vent

Dawnnira

New Jersey Chapter Leaders-Retired
Need help...
2015 bighorn 3685rl with convection microwave & residential fridge-
My problem...
from the outside, to reach the louver on the vent you either need a ladder or be 8' tall? At one campground i was able to barely reach it but wasnt tall enough to flip the two stubborn clips. What does everyone else do that has the same set up? I have a ladder but there has to be abetter way...

-Ira

Piperflyer

I opened mine and have left it that way for the last 7 months on the road. Why does it need to be closed? Doesn't

Ks.Kev

I opened mine and have left it that way for the last 7 months on the road. Why does it need to be closed? Doesn't

I also did this ...... worked for a while till one camping trip noticed the flap was gone!
Bought a replacement... now I move the clips down!

WBG

WBGavin
Need help...
2015 bighorn 3685rl with convection microwave & residential fridge-
My problem...
from the outside, to reach the louver on the vent you either need a ladder or be 8' tall? At one campground i was able to barely reach it but wasnt tall enough to flip the two stubborn clips. What does everyone else do that has the same set up? I have a ladder but there has to be abetter way...

-Ira

There is no fix. Trying to open it from the ground with a broom stick or equivalent, just does not work. You need at least a 6 foot ladder, but an 8 footer works much better.
WBG

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I open ours from the ground using my "story pole" stick. Slick no issues after I took my dremel to the tab locks so they were smoother opening. Just a twist of the wrist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

If your vent is as pictured below, you can leave it open while traveling. The older styles didn't always survive travel if left open. This style should be ok.

Probably a good idea to close it when in storage.

Attachments

• Microwave Vent adj.jpg
    Microwave Vent adj.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 97

StarryNight

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
You are correct about needing to be 8' tall to get to the clips!! Our vent also has the two clips on either side...I have my trekking poles in the rv and use one to open & close the little clips (the poles have the rubber ends and work well gripping the clip).
We have known several people who have left their's open and have "lost" the cover :(

WBG

WBGavin
I open ours from the ground using my "story pole" stick. Slick no issues after I took my dremel to the tab locks so they were smoother opening. Just a twist of the wrist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guess I need to get a Dremel Tool and learn how to use it.

Thanks

WBG

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have the old style. I unlatched it six years ago. If I lose the flapper the new one will not be latched either.

Peace
Dave

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
We have the new style and leave it open all during camping season. We carry a small step stool and I am able to reach it with that. If the wind is just right, we can hear it rattle a bit at night.

iPhone Tapatalk

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
If your vent is as pictured below, you can leave it open while traveling. The older styles didn't always survive travel if left open. This style should be ok.

Probably a good idea to close it when in storage.
That's the kind I have Dan, (except mine doesn't have the rain drops on it:rolleyes:) and I tried to close it once. Now it stays open all the time.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We have the new style vent (the photo Dan posted is the actual vent on our Prowler) . . .

I took that photo standing on the ground and I can just reach it but have to stand on my toes.

They are very easy to open once you figure it out.

What you do is put your hands in a fist with your thumbs pointing up, then put each thumb on one of each of the tabs, them push up and in on the outer edge of the tabs, then push out and it will pop right open.

No need to dremmel them.

ProwlerVent-P1000079.jpg ProwlerVent-P1000081.jpg

ProwlerVent-P1000784.jpg

I remember the first time I tried to get that thing open I screwed around with it for about a half an hour before I figured it out.

I like to keep it closed to keep the wasps and hornets out of it.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Ours is the older style with the two rotating tabs at the lower corners. I use an awning rod (a spare from previous TT) to open and close it. Awning rod also works great for pulling folded slide seals out into position when extending the slides.

C-Haert

Dawnira.

The first time to open it is a booger; however, it gets easier to open moving forward. Get a good ladder, so you can get some leverage on those tabs, and PRESS UP and OUT with your thumbs. If you hold your tongue just right, you'll get it open.

C-Haert
:cool:

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
When you guys figure it out, you can show us. Lol. I don't think we have ever opened ours.

danemayer

When you guys figure it out, you can show us. Lol. I don't think we have ever opened ours.

Probably a good idea to open the vent. These ovens have safety features including an overtemp fusible link in the main power circuit. If the link goes, the labor to replace a $2 part will hurt.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Probably a good idea to open the vent. These ovens have safety features including an overtemp fusible link in the main power circuit. If the link goes, the labor to replace a $2 part will hurt.

Thanks, lucky for us, we have not used our oven in over 6 years. Lol. In our last Northtrail fifth wheel, The oven still had the paperwork in it when we traded it.