Water line to Refrigerator

mhulling

We have a 3650RL with the full size Refrigerator and Ice maker. Also, this unit has the yeti package with covered underbelly. The water line to the refrigerator is connected under the kitchen sink and the refrigerator is located in the slide-out. My question is: since we plan to live in it during the winter in northern Ohio, will the water line to the refrigerator freeze during winter? Should that part be winterized?

jimtoo

Hi mhulling,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I am pretty sure it will freeze where it comes out of the belly and up to the fridge. I'm sure some of our other members will jump in with some better info for you soon.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

danemayer

since we plan to live in it during the winter in northern Ohio, will the water line to the refrigerator freeze during winter? Should that part be winterized?
Yes, it definitely will freeze and you need to turn the cutoff valve to OFF and evacuate the water in the feed line. If you have a residential refrigerator, take a look at our owner-written Residential Refrigerator User Guide. The Water Systems Winter Usage Guide may also be helpful. While many of these rigs are comfort tested to 0 degrees (F), that's about comfort, not about running water.

oldelmer1

On my water line, under the slide, on the frame, there is a 2 way valve that the water line is connected too. In the horizontal position of the arm, the water goes to the fridge. But if you turn it vertical, the water drains out the 2nd fitting.

Look and see if you have this valve under there.

meagle

We have a 3650RL with the full size Refrigerator and Ice maker. Also, this unit has the yeti package with covered underbelly. The water line to the refrigerator is connected under the kitchen sink and the refrigerator is located in the slide-out. My question is: since we plan to live in it during the winter in northern Ohio, will the water line to the refrigerator freeze during winter? Should that part be winterized?

Based on personal experience the water line will freeze. I would winterize the line and turnoff the water to the line. I added a different valve and stopped using the ice maker due to multiple leaks and design problems. If you decide to continue using the ice maker I would only do so in non-freezing weather and I would upgrade the water line and water valve to a higher quality product.

Nuclearcowboy

On my water line, under the slide, on the frame, there is a 2 way valve that the water line is connected too. In the horizontal position of the arm, the water goes to the fridge. But if you turn it vertical, the water drains out the 2nd fitting.

Look and see if you have this valve under there.
That two way valve will, by itself, not guarantee you can get the line drained and prevent freezing. Once this valve is placed in the drain position, you not only have to disconnect the line under the sink and blow the line out with air to where the valve is located, you will also have to purge the line with air from the valve up through the ice maker to ensure this part of the line is free of water. I learned this the really hard way - froze my line last winter and had a mess to clean up the next spring!! It is a real PITA to purge the last part.

danemayer

To winterize the residential refrigerator, you need to do a lot more than just open that valve under the slideout.

There's a chill coil and a water filter in the refrigerator, along with feed line and valve in the refrigerator.

Our owner-written Residential Refrigerator Guide has a thorough winterizing procedure that will protect all components.