Dealer/Electrical problem

Mburtsvt

So… the Landmark has been at the dealer for two moths now…. not unexpected, but hey whole different issue. I would like to see if the members have any suggestions to help the dealer fix this problem.

Brand new - really no PDI problems, so we hook it up and head out for a 4 month stay. All the time we had the RV hooked up to shore power. No problems during our stay - a few “fix me” issues - but over all no problems.

Now the concern - when we pack up and hook up,(off shore power) all of the 12 volt dies except the running lights and brakes. No interior 12v systems work - no lights. The slides work with the RV hooked up, but disconnect from the truck - no 12v systems. The running lights work and brakes, nothing else works.

It’s like the battery did not charge. I did not check the water level in the battery at all. I assume they were correct from the dealer.
I suspect a battery and converter problem. The dealer is stumped - I don’t know if they are working with Heartland on this. It should be a warranty issue.

Anyone else have any ideas for the dealer?

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

It's the little manual reset breaker in the front compartment. There is a row of breakers under the red boot covers one of them has a little black button on the side push it in.
25fabab9b4951039648a8557f1cd0d63.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Mburtsvt

Before going to service I did check it..... it was not out. Being a long time follower of your post that was one of the first things I checked.

BTW - remind me what that little digital read out is for?

Thanks in advance.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Just a reference to keep an eye on my system.

It's either the master switch or the mini breaker.
If your on shore power all of your interior system is running off of your converter and your batteries if there contact to one another. If that breaker is tripped or your master switch is off, when you unplug from shore power it will all go dead..

Oregon_Camper

Can you check to see if power is coming IN from converter? Remember the 110v items never pass through the converter. They get direct power when you're plugged in (well..through breaker box...but you get the idea). See image below. It seems like your breaker is bad, if you can't reset it and see 12v on the other side (via an amp meter)

RV Power Distribution.jpg

Mburtsvt

Team, (all): Thanks for the quick responses. I’m going to print them all out and take them with me when I visit the dealer on Wed. One more quick question that someone in the neighborhood brought up.

Could this be a symptom of bad batteries?

I did not check the water level since delivery of the RV. Could 4 month of use, (even being on shore power all that time), degraded the batteries ?

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Check your voltage... Use the level up control panel and scroll down to battery voltage.
Shore power unplugged of course.
Should be over 12.5 or so
Let us know what you find.

Is that what it's at the dealer for or are they fixing bigger issues ??

danemayer

It's possible that you have a battery problem. A shorted cell or something along those lines. When on shore power for an extended period, it's a good practice to check water level monthly. If the water is allowed to get low, you can ruin the battery. The converter is supposed to monitor condition of the battery to make this unlikely over a period of a few months, but it can happen.

BTW, the reset button on the mini-circuit breaker doesn't really pop out so I don't think you can feel whether it was tripped. The usual indication is that before pushing, interior light don't work. After pushing, they do.

Usually this stuff isn't too difficult for a dealer tech to figure out. From the difficulty the dealer is having, I'd guess it's a bad ground path on the negative terminal of the batteries. That often gets overlooked.

wdk450

If you (or the RV tech) disconnects the smaller cable from the red post of the battery that goes to the 12 VDC circuit breaker buss, plug in the rig to AC power with the inside breakers ON, you can do some voltage measurements at the battery area that should give you all of the answers. In this set of conditions, you should read +12 Volts DC at the battery plus terminal, and +12 volts DC at the end of the cable to the 12 volt buss removed from the battery. No 12 volts on the battery = discharged or bad battery. No 12 volts at the cable end that connects to the battery = charging circuit breaker tripped, or master battery switch OFF, or converter not producing 12 volt power. You can easily double check the last possibility by simply trying to turn on any internal lights. Under this set of conditions, the internal lights will be lit by the converter 12 volts ONLY (Not by the battery also).