And So it Begins! Caulking and Waxing Exterior of BH 3585RL

Carleen

After spending two 8 hour days caulking and waxing, I am nearly done re-finishing the outside of the trailer. We have the high-gloss fiberglass finish that has started to oxidize. I used the recommended ProFlex RV Sealant purchased from Amazon.com. I have about 90% of the caulking done. I still need to finish around the front cap and end cap along with the seals above the gutters. I used blue tape to keep the caulk clean and off the areas I didn't want it to be. I found mineral spirits clean up this caulk really well! I cannot believe how good the trailer looks with just a little elbow grease- really cleaned up the appearance and will protect it for the next year.

For waxing, I am using the One Step Compound by Meguiars made specific for RV/Boat fiberglass applying it with a multi-orbital polisher. So far, so good! I have completed 90% of the door side. I had to wait on the rest because it became too hot outside and I couldn't get in complete shade. Also, the curb side still had wet caulk. I hope to finish next weekend (as long as my tired body holds out!). I don't think I have ever worked so hard! It sure is worth it though :)

IMG_0993.jpgIMG_0990.jpg

Dumboldles

Thanks for sharing. Using blue tape to mask the caulking is a good idea. Did you need to scrap off the old caulking or did you just caulk over the old?

Carleen

Thanks for sharing. Using blue tape to mask the caulking is a good idea. Did you need to scrap off the old caulking or did you just caulk over the old?

I did scrape off the old caulk- at least down to good caulking. Most of it was chalky, flaking, goopy and just weathered. I used a plastic putty knife and rant it along the edges. The old caulk just turned to powder for the most part. In some areas like around the door, I removed as much as I could. There was no way it would all be removed and What was left had a good seal and I just caulked over it. I am happy with how it turned out. That ProFlex is sticky though! Not like anything I have used in the house.

Carleen
2011 Ford F-350 6.7
2011 Big Horn 3585RL

MP_CS

Whats everyone prefer for black caulking? Haven't seen a whole lot of choices out there

Bobby A

After spending two 8 hour days caulking and waxing, I am nearly done re-finishing the outside of the trailer. We have the high-gloss fiberglass finish that has started to oxidize. I used the recommended ProFlex RV Sealant purchased from Amazon.com. I have about 90% of the caulking done. I still need to finish around the front cap and end cap along with the seals above the gutters. I used blue tape to keep the caulk clean and off the areas I didn't want it to be. I found mineral spirits clean up this caulk really well! I cannot believe how good the trailer looks with just a little elbow grease- really cleaned up the appearance and will protect it for the next year.

For waxing, I am using the One Step Compound by Meguiars made specific for RV/Boat fiberglass applying it with a multi-orbital polisher. So far, so good! I have completed 90% of the door side. I had to wait on the rest because it became too hot outside and I couldn't get in complete shade. Also, the curb side still had wet caulk. I hope to finish next weekend (as long as my tired body holds out!). I don't think I have ever worked so hard! It sure is worth it though :)

View attachment 47642View attachment 47643

What is this one step compound made by Meguiars your talking about ?? got a pic of the container ??

Carleen

What is this one step compound made by Meguiars your talking about ?? got a pic of the container ??

Here it is on Amazon too! I just ordered a second bottle. So far I really like how it's working. It can also be used right over the graphics without damaging them. I also bought several bonnets for the orbital because compound wax gums them up quick.
Automotive wax doesn't work on fiberglass gel coat- makes it hazy, so you have to use a fiberglass gel coat wax. I learned this hard lesson on my boat. Meguiars also sells a three step restore kit that works well on really bad oxidization that I use on my boat before. It held up surprisingly well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000...p+compound&dpPl=1&dpID=41eGveA3fTL&ref=plSrch

Carleen
2011 Ford F-350 6.7
2011 Big Horn 3585RL