out side shower

bpmills

Tried to use my out side shower the other day and it did not go well. Has anyone changed the hose to one of those 25 foot coil type hose or anything better than what comes with the Bighorn??
Thank you, Burt

happycampernc

bpmills,
we are having a problem with our outside shower having no pressure and/or no flow whatsoever. we are taking our camper back to the dealer on sat.

seabee

Outside Shower

;)You want more water out of it,take it apart and drill out the shower head at the hose end as it only has a 1/4 inch hole,I did Wow much better but leave your clothing on while doing this,no one wants to see our old body's,but its ok for the dog:D.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Who actually uses the outside shower? I don't think I have used it in any of the trailers I have owned...

jbeletti

Burt,

I have never found the standard plastic outdoor shower heads to be very effective. The classic Landmarks and early Bighorns came with a quick disconnect port with the coiled hose and metal sprayer. Nice :)

Not any more :(

I had my plastic shower head/faucet removed in my UDC and replaced with a quick disconnect spray port and faucet plus a coiled hose with metal sprayer (see attached image).

I use mine to clean my grill and wash my shoe bottoms when I step in someone's doggy doo :eek:

This upgrade is not for everyone but if you are very handy it can be a DIY project.

Jim

Attachments

• outside_shower_sprayport.jpg
    outside_shower_sprayport.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:

flamingknitter

I have used mine on two trips now - for sandy or dirty grandkids. Built a little pedestal out of the leveling blocks and hosed their dirty little legs off!! It was really nice having warm water, especially at the California coast in September. The ocean is freezing! I also use the shower because everytime I take the lid off of the septic hook-up thing, I get a poop shower. Great. It is in the shop again to see if we can finally get that thing fixed.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
We've had outside showers in our last three units - when we had a dog, we would give him/her a bath once we got back. Pooch never minded getting a nice shower with warm water.

Haven't had a pet since we bought the BH, but have used it to wash out the 5 gallon pails that we store the sewer hoses in.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I have used mine on two trips now - for sandy or dirty grandkids. Built a little pedestal out of the leveling blocks and hosed their dirty little legs off!! It was really nice having warm water, especially at the California coast in September. The ocean is freezing! I also use the shower because everytime I take the lid off of the septic hook-up thing, I get a poop shower. Great. It is in the shop again to see if we can finally get that thing fixed.
If you're getting a poop shower when you remove the cap from the sewer hose connector on your trailer, the shut off valve may have something jammed in the seat, or is damaged. Had the same problem with the SOB TT we got rid of, right from day one. When I flushed it out into a bucket, I collected chunks of wood, broken drill bits, and lots of foam pieces. The first dealer fix was to crank down the bolts (trailer had a belly skin, so I couldn't get at it) on the valve so hard that I almost pulled the cable out. Leaked still. Second fix supposedly replaced the valve, but it still leaked into the cap. My fix was to put a twist-on gate valve at the cap and leave it there. Used that to connect the hose to. Ended the green/brown showers.

flamingknitter

John & Darlene - I see one of those closures in my future as well. The two plugs that are created when the holes are drilled have already come out. The cable doesn't seem to seat properly and doesn't hold water when the Santi-flush is used. When I dropped the rig off, the repair guy and I discussed a new closure if he can't get the valve fixed. He also mentioned that some of the drain outlets are drilled a little high. We'll get to the bottom of it (pun intended) eventually.

cliffbuilt

Outside shower

Burt,

I have never found the standard plastic outdoor shower heads to be very effective. The classic Landmarks and early Bighorns came with a quick disconnect port with the coiled hose and metal sprayer. Nice :)

Not any more :(

I had my plastic shower head/faucet removed in my UDC and replaced with a quick disconnect spray port and faucet plus a coiled hose with metal sprayer.

I use mine to clean my grill and wash my shoe bottoms when I step in someone's doggy doo :eek:

This upgrade is not for everyone but if you are very handy it can be a DIY project.

Jim

Hey Jim any pics or part numbers for this mod??? sounds like a good set up. :D

Thanks Cliff

Shadowchek

I put a drain bucket under the docking station and use the outside shower for a handwashing station when I am doing dirty jobs or fishing. I have installed a low point drain so all of the water drains out into the bucket. Much better than tracking all of that muck inside. It also keeps Shelly happy and that is vey important to the overall enjoyment of our camping experience.

Greg

Triber

I use my outside shower all the time, though not for showeres (don't want to scare the neighbors). If I am working outside on a dirty job, it is much easier to clean up outside with soap and hot water from the O/S. Also handy if I need hot water for washing tables or whatever. I don't have to lug the wash bucket inside the rig.

When we first got our rig, there was only a dribble coming out of the shower heads, both inside and outside. I discovered that all of the water outlets in the rig had flow restrictors. If you are running full pressure you might get enough water but we use a regulator to protect against the many different pressures you can encounter when traveling. My fix was to remove the flow restrictors (located underneath the shower heads) They are plastic inserts with a pinhole in them for the restriction. You can drill them out if you choose but since my system is regulator protected, I removed them entirely. Now we can have a comfortable shower at 30# pressure on the system.

Last edited:

Triber

I find that the location of the outside shower hardware makes it difficult to use if you are hooked up with all your water, cable and so forth connections. If you wanted to actually use it for a shower, it is not in an easy spot to get at. I use it to wash my hands after dumping or if I am working outside and don't want to track through the rig to clean up. The shower supply line and head is too small so I am looking at reconfiuring the entire setup. I'll let you know if I come up with a better plan.