3160 EL. Exterior Stress Cracks

Brireey1600

I have a 2016 Bighorn 3160 EL and have found stress cracks on the coach at the top corners above the slide. There are two cracks one on each side of the coach and run vertically about 6 inches. The unit is still under warranty. Has anyone else experienced this and were they able to have it fixed and what type of repair was made? Did Heartland take care of the repair? Any help would be appreciated.

Az_Ernie

Which slide? Pictures would be helpful, if possible. We have a 2015 3160EL that is in off property storage. We'll be picking it up on October 1st to get it ready for the Heartland Rally in Las Vegas. We'll definitely have to take a look at ours. Thanks for the heads-up!

Last edited:

Brireey1600

There are two cracks just above corner of slide and extends to roof there is one on drivers side of coach slide and one on the passenger side of coach

Az_Ernie

Sorry, which slides? Bedroom or Kitchen slide (Driver's side), forward or rear corners? Forward or rear corners Living Room slide (Passenger side)?

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I have a 2016 Bighorn 3160 EL and have found stress cracks on the coach at the top corners above the slide. There are two cracks one on each side of the coach and run vertically about 6 inches. The unit is still under warranty. Has anyone else experienced this and were they able to have it fixed and what type of repair was made? Did Heartland take care of the repair? Any help would be appreciated.

First thing tomorrow morning, call Heartland with your VIN and get them appraised of the damage. If you're still under warranty, they should handle it.

mlpeloquin

If you are not under warranty, do yourself a favor and drill a small 1/4" hole using a drill stop at the top of the stress cracks about 1/8th inch deep. Seal the cracks using a strip of rubber roof patch. The hole is round an should stop the crack from progressing. Drive it around for several trips and check to see if the crack stopped its march upward. If so, then it is time to get the fiberglass repaired. Call Heartland and send the pictures and get their advice as to how to get this repaired. The front slide is the weakest part of the fifth wheels structure.

If you are under warranty, call Heartland and send the pictures and get their advice. Use Gorilla tape to seal over it temporarily form the weather. Don't let water get in and delaminate the skin of your rig. Delamination most likely would not be covered since you knew that water could get in and didn't do anything to keep moisture out.

Az_Ernie

If you are not under warranty, do yourself a favor and drill a small 1/4" hole using a drill stop at the top of the stress cracks about 1/8th inch deep. Seal the cracks using a strip of rubber roof patch. The hole is round an should stop the crack from progressing. Drive it around for several trips and check to see if the crack stopped its march upward. If so, then it is time to get the fiberglass repaired. Call Heartland and send the pictures and get their advice as to how to get this repaired. The front slide is the weakest part of the fifth wheels structure.

If you are under warranty, call Heartland and send the pictures and get their advice. Use Gorilla tape to seal over it temporarily form the weather. Don't let water get in and delaminate the skin of your rig. Delamination most likely would not be covered since you knew that water could get in and didn't do anything to keep moisture out.
Excellent advice!!

I have a 2012 RW 415 and it had some delaminate of the skin in a few spots front and rear, but not near any windows , and no in the middle of my rig just forward of the front door I found a few cracks just about and below of the awning. I called hearland last year about the delaminate bubbles with no luck. Give up with this brand RV, next rig will have a extended warranty or im not buying it.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have a 2012 RW 415 and it had some delaminate of the skin in a few spots front and rear, but not near any windows , and no in the middle of my rig just forward of the front door I found a few cracks just about and below of the awning. I called hearland last year about the delaminate bubbles with no luck. Give up with this brand RV, next rig will have a extended warranty or im not buying it.

Sorry you didn't have luck with Heartland. I did have them work with me on a delaminate spot, but it was caught before my 1 year was up.

I'm currently looking at an extended warranty, and they do not cover any delamination. If you find one that does, please let us know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wdk450

I had a crack in the fiberglass at the top rear corner of my bedroom slide. I got a fiberglass repair kit, did the repair, and used touch-up paint from Auto Zone. Very soon the crack was back. I put white duct tape over it for a while.

About 6 months later, I developed a MAJOR crack at the bottom front of the same bedroom slide, from the slide corner to the curve in the pinbox overhang. I took the trailer to an independent RV body and paint service in Fontana, Ca. I had already had the Heartland factory front pinbox frame area upgrading done. The paint and body service eventually found that the structural aluminum tubing framing and aluminum heavy sheet siding itself had cracked. They eventually welded the cracks closed, and welded in a thin steel plate (thin, so it wouldn't show under the fiberglass) bridging the cracks. Welding the steel to aluminum is a dicey proposition, with steel melting at 3000 degrees and aluminum melting at 1500 degrees. I am sorry to say that the crack is back (but smaller in width in the fiberglass). I plan to go back to the paint and body place this spring for a re-repair.

I just checked the slide, and the top rear bedroom slide fiberglass crack is back, too, although the old crack was more diagonal, and today's crack is more vertical.

Garypowell

Had a similar crack but more diagonal. Was in Elkhart for frame flex repair and they did a cosmetic patch that looked good but recracked 2 days later

returned 2 months later and Heartland removed a 2 - 3 foot area and found several tubes cracked. They welded in aluminum pieces and gusets and then welded an aluminum plate over the whole area then put fiberglass (or whatever material it is) back over the hole and now you'd never know anything was wrong.

Put it on about 1,500 miles since then.