Hitch advice needed

deee2

We get our new Ford 350, 4x4, diesel DRW on Monday. We presently have the Reese 16k slider hitch, and hubby thinks we need to upgrade to tow the (up to) 14,000 trailer. Any suggestions? Will a newer hitch without the slider make the ride smoother or have any other benefits?

Thanks,

Donna :)

Forrest Fetherolf

We get our new Ford 350, 4x4, diesel DRW on Monday. We presently have the Reese 16k slider hitch, and hubby thinks we need to upgrade to tow the (up to) 14,000 trailer. Any suggestions? Will a newer hitch without the slider make the ride smoother or have any other benefits?

Donna,

I pull a 3600RL (15100 lbs loaded) with a 16k Husky slider and 20k TrailAir hitch-pin........no problem. I have never used the slider option with a Duramax short-bed. There are many hitches and hitch-pins to improve the ride and "chucking," the cost varies greatly. I recommend keeping the Reese slider and install a TrailAir or MorRyde hitch-pin to improve the ride. A newer hitch w/o slider will not necessarily improve the ride, it is dependent on the style of hitch.

Forrest

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Chucking and poor ride isn't caused by the fifth wheel, it's caused by the suspension of the TV and trailer.... It's the nature of a spring ride suspension.

Out of adustment jaws or slider will simply amplify it.

I'd adjust as necessary, lube the jaws and spend my money on a welded on Lube plate for the hitch, air bags for the truck and a trailair hitch for the trailer.

That
  1. takes up the up and down slack of the pin, don't need a donut anymore.
  2. brings truck suspension to unloaded height away from the overload springs allowing you to ride on air vs springs
  3. absorbs the shock of the trailer suspension "chucking" the nose of the trailer down when the tail goes up and vice versa