Repairing fresh water tank fitting

captpfd

I have now found that at least one of the fittings on top of one of my fresh water tanks is leaking. Probably a cracked elbow. Why is there two of these plastic fittings on the top of the tanks? Can they be repaired or replaced? Do they just unscrew from the plastic tank? Btw, While I have the tank down I am going to add extra metal bars for supporting the tank as I read in another post. Thanks.

danemayer

Fittings on the top corners of the fresh tank are probably the overflows so the tank doesn't over expand when filled under pressure. They should have pex tubing coming off them, going through the frame to let water escape outside.

I don't think there's a lot of stress on those fittings, so you may be able to apply something like Waterweld Epoxy to fix the leak.

I've attached a picture of a Landmark 365 fresh tank drain (before the pex tubing is attached) for comparison.

Attachments

• Fresh Tank Drain.jpg
    Fresh Tank Drain.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 70

captpfd

My trailer is a 2008 and doesn't use pex line but instead uses the white drinking water hose for lines attaching to the fresh water tanks. I have two 47 gallon fresh water tanks. The rear tank gets filled first and then water spills over into the first tank. Hard to tell if they are overflows but I know at least on line goes to the Sureflow pump for using that pump to circulate water. Local RV repair guy is ordering me some new fittings. He said the last time this happened he had to send the tank across town to a plastic welding forming company for them to replace with the new fittings. Cost about $150 for them to do that. Ouch! I'm tempted to try and fix this myself since it is not a true pressurized vessel.

captpfd

Fixed the tank fitting with some JB Weld Plastic Bond two-part epoxy. Beats buying a new tank or taking to a repair company.