RV's On The Road.......

Uncle Rog

Howdy, this being the 4th of July weekend, I have been off for four days and probably driven 100 miles or so. In my travels I counted over 6,016 RV's, only 16 were on the road and 3 of them were tent trailers! This being southern Calif with a population / rv density that has to be one of the highest anywhere speaks volumes to the effect of high fuel prices in concert with the economic climate.
The RV lots are all having "massive" sales, as I drove past several I noticed that most of the customer parking areas were pretty much deserted...........

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
That's the main reason we stay put for most of the seasons. At the current fuel prices it would cost us an average of .44 cents a mile to take the Horn anywhere. And that's just fuel! There are trips we have had planned for quite some time where there are friends counting on us being there that we will still take but nothing beyond that. We'll probably take a more direct route south this Winter as well except for a detour over to Houston for the Fall Rally. And we'll slow down a bit too if it helps any. We'll not stop full timing though. We still love it:D.

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Since the huge price spikes in fuel I'm seeing much lighter traffic on the roads during long holiday weekends.

Seeing huge RV sales all over the US and Canada this last month too. Some I'm sure due to the economy, especially in the US, but also they are blowing out left over '08 models as the model year changes in May for most manufacturers.

Biggest hit in the industry is the motorized units.... And Heartland doesn't make them;)

jdcarp2001

We work as Campground Host at Cherry Creek State Park, this is our third year at this park and have noticed a significant drop in RV's this 4th of July.

billd

The wife and I love to go to the Colorado River a lot, so we ended up buying a memebership at a campground and leave our BH in storage there. When we make reservations to go there, we just do a trailer move, which is cheaper than towing th BH out there. Plus the storage is only $30.00 a month.

We were out there till saturday, the campground was pretty full, lots of people on the water.

Bill

Here in Montana the campgrounds were very full!! In this country where everything is a long way away it seems like everyone stayed in the locale but still went camping. Also our camping season is short so maybe everyone is still hitting it hard on the important weekends. I did notice that the boat traffic on the lake was much lighter though.