New Torque owner with battery charging issues

Nsmart

Hi I'm a new torque T32 owner and I'm having a issue with the battery not charging when plugged into 110. I have the 50amp converted to 30amp plug then reduced to the 110 adapter so I don't know if this is the issue or not but my dealer told me this would work and supplied me with these necessary plugs and adapters.
I just picked it up from the dealer a week ago and we are planning a trip next Friday so I don't have time to take it in for service warranty work so I am hoping to troubleshoot this myself. I work on cars for a living so I have some knowledge of electrical systems and how they work however I have no experience with rv's as this is my first one to own.
The generator is working and powering the entire rv but when the generator is off our battery is running low when plugged into 110.
Any help or what to check would be greatly appreciated!

jimtoo

Hi Nsmart,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure you will get more info from our other members, but locate you converter,(changes 120v ac to 12c dc) it may be unplugged or may have a blown fuse.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

Nsmart

Thanks jimtoo!!
Where would the converter be located? Would it be close to the fuse panel? This is a tt not a fifth wheel.

danemayer

Hi Nsmart,

The converter is typically behind the rear wall of the pass through basement storage. Before checking it, take a look at the row of 12V DC mini-circuit breakers near your battery. They're usually covered by a red rubber boot. One breaker has a teeny-tiny reset button as pictured below. If that breaker has tripped, no power gets from the Power Converter to the battery to keep it charged.

If you have a meter, check the voltage at the battery to see if it's around 13.6V when plugged into shore power. That reading would indicate you're getting DC power from the Power Converter. If it's less than 12V, try pressing the reset button and see if it goes to 13.6V. If not, you'll have to investigate the Power Converter.

Sometimes when using adapters to plug into 120V outlets, the adapter may have an internal problem such that you only get power to one leg of your 50 Amp connector. If so, half of your 120V devices won't work, and the Power Converter might be in the half not working.

If none of this helps, take a look at our 12V Block Diagram and Diagnostic Guide in this folder.

Attachments

• Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 36
  • circuit breaker reset.jpg
    circuit breaker reset.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 30
  • Buss Bar boot off Notated.jpg
    Buss Bar boot off Notated.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 39

hoefler

Which adaptor are you using?? Does it have a 30 amp male plug AND a 20 amp male plug??
CAM55025_4_1000.jpg

Or just a 30 amp male plug??

17f815c1-dba1-4b9d-99be-4f0129a8367d_1.982fec573f06ad2b36b8ff4a5bfbbe1d.jpeg

If it has 2 male plugs and only pluging one in, you are only suppling half of the electrical system with power.

Nsmart

Thank y'all for the help!! Problem is fixed!!

As per your advise I looked for the breakers and I could only locate one and it did not have a button on it but my battery was reading 11.2 so I decided to look for the inverter. I found it behind the fuse panel so I removed the fuse panel and reached in the cavity and checked the fuses on the inverter and they were not blown. BTW the water connections are all in the same cubby as the inverter and fuse panel which makes absolutely no sense! So the next check I did was the 30 to 110 adapter and guess what....the cheap triangle shaped (made in china) adapter was the problem!! I guess it has a internal problem so I replaced it with another one and now my battery is charging!!

Thanks again for the pointers of what to check on. This is a great forum y'all have here!