towing

I am considering pulling 9000 lb. dry weight 5th wheel (Damani DF300 Dry weight 9000) with my 2015 Ram EcoDiesel. Is this expecting too much from this pickup. Truck is set up with the 355 rear end. Will this over work engine and transmission?

I have returned from Alaska trip of 10,000 miles pulling 30 ft WildCat and did not have any issues. Very pleased with the performance.

danemayer

Hi jammel1971,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Do you put anything at all into your trailer? Water, propane, clothing, tools, bedding, kitchen utensils? If so, you might do better to ask relative to the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) rather than empty weight.

Also, trucks towing capacity and payload capacity varies quite a bit, even within a particular model and rear axle ration.

You can probably work out the details at Fifth Wheel Safe Towing.

Jim.Allison

Got to do the math, lest you blow your tires, and burn up your transmission and or differential. Or heaven forbid, your brakes fail to stop the load.

Power247

Those are great links! 👍. That 9200# to rating for the Eco is for a reg cab and equipped with 3.92 gears. 3.55 drops it back to 8300#s for the regular cab and 7950# for the crew cab. And total payload capacity around 1500#s. So by the numbers you will be way over. Can you pull like that... Sure you can. There are things you do once because you have (need) to. But no way would I buy more camper than my truck could pull unless I was leaving it set up somewhere permanent.

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

JSchneib

I pull a 27ft travel trailer with my 2015 Ecodiesel with 3.92 gears. Tow capacity on my truck is 8950#. It pulls my trailer fine provided I am patient with the big hills here in Colorado like Wolf Creek and Eisenhower Tunnel. However, if I moved to a bigger trailer I would definitely want a bigger truck.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
6c4265a2584971268c951478c860c04d.jpg