Flip-up bed option on the 21FBS?

chrispitude

Hi all,

I had previously been looking at the Forest River Surveyor SV249, which has a really nice open floorplan where the bed which actually flips up into a sofa during daytime use:

SV-249.jpg

jackbed.JPG

But then I came across the North Trail 21FBS and I am absolutely sold on the thing! The aerodynamic front, the lower stance and the wide axles are a winner. However, the 21FBS does not have a flip-up bed like the Surveyor, which would make things more cramped when we bring another couple with us. Is this something the factory could consider as an option? If so, are you looking for a guinea pig to test out the idea on? :)

- Chris

Last edited:
M

Mcreech

Thanks for the feedback but right now this set up isn't on our plans as of right now....We try to produce a trailer that has more features at the same cost as our competitors, as you mentioned (aerodynamic front, wide trax axles)....Hopefully these features are enough to off set the couch you mentioned.......

Thanks

chrispitude

Hi all,

Sunset Trail has a new 2009 model (ST24BH) which has a flip-up bed/sofa:

ST24BH.jpg

I saw the ST24BH at the Hershey show this weekend, and I have to say that the feature is executed very well. The hardware mechanism is sturdy, the sofa latches very firmly in the upright position, and the bed is no less comfortable than a standard RV bed when used in bed mode. My wife and I were extremely impressed at the quality of their bed/sofa option.

The Sunset Trail ST24BH floorplan is very similar to the Heartland 21FBS except that the ST24BH also has bunks which we don't need (yet).

The 21FBS is designed solely to be a couple's trailer. This bed/sofa option is not too big of a deal when it's just the two of us camping, as I'd consider it to be a nicety rather than a necessity. However, what the option does provide is the ability to step up to the times we invite another couple to come along with us. Having both a dinette and sofa in the trailer means that there is plenty of seating room when the weather forces everyone inside. This simple option turns the 21FBS from a simple couples trailer into a capable double-couples' trailer.

Here is a picture of the bed in sofa mode:

i_401_517458_1211872.jpg

and in bed mode:

i_401_517458_1211875.jpg

I understand that the option adds weight, cost, etc. and that's all to be expected. However, I suspect if this was introduced as an option it would prove to be an exceptionally popular option. I strongly encourage Heartland to look into a similar capability for the 21FBS! It would really add an extra dimension of usefulness to this couple's trailer. If it weren't for the bunks, I think we might have bought the Sunset Trail instead (which also has a very raked front and enclosed underbelly).

- Chris

RVCamper

Chris,

I agree! In many ways it has all the features of our 31QBS, but in smaller package. We really don't need the Quad bunks with two kids.

My thought are that the couch could be omitted and a flip up folding Queen be put in its place. It would save weight and space, and the open area would be bigger.

CampingJunkie

Chris, appreciate the heads up but from what I see in your pictures, the North Trail product is far superior in its finishes. Also don't like the vents in the floor in the other units. Too much trash getting caught in the vents and air lines.

You get a white sink in the North Trail and the cabinets do not look as nice in the units you posted pictures of. It is my opinion that another sofa is not needed if you are really meant to spend more time outside then inside.

Just my .02!

M

Mcreech

Chris, I hear you but my question is if you want the room for guests and you like the bunk idea of the Sunset....I would just suggest the 28BHS....With this unit you have a floorplan 24" longer, 200LBS more and about $2000 less money.....Any Truck that can pull the Sunset @ 4700lbs can pull 4900lbs North Trail and spend less money....without the need for a flip down bed....

Mike

chrispitude

Hi Mike,

That's just the thing - we don't want the bunks and we like the size and weight of the 21BHS. The "(yet)" was just a comment that we don't have kids at the moment but who knows what the future will bring! But today, we are looking for something as small and easy to tow as possible that will meet our needs.

Hi CampingJunkie,

My wife and I both agree that the build/interior quality of the North Trail is higher. This is why I am so interested in bringing just that sofa/bed feature over into the 21FBS.

I am heartened that at least RVCamper agrees that the feature would be useful. :)

- Chris

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
NT 21FBS - A clear winner

Just my 2 cents, the fit and finish of the quality built North Trail will far outweigh this one feature. We love our 21FBS, and we don't feel crowded. I could easily see some kind of modification you could do to make "seating" if you needed it in the 21FBS. I haven't done it, but you could probably bring along some kind of folding chairs and still have room. Also note that the dinette area makes a bed, much larger than most other TTs.

TT

chrispitude

Hi guys,

I came back to check the thread and see if there was any more traffic. The posts above tell me why the North Trail is a superior unit to the Sunset Trail and that's great to hear, that's why I'm here! However, I have not seen any reasoning why the bed/sofa unit would be a bad idea.

I still firmly believe that this would be a very useful option for the 21FBS. Converting the bed into a sofa would really open up the interior when two couples are camping and the weather is nasty outside. It is probably not a coincidence that two other units with similar bed/dinette floorplans (the Surveyor and the Sunset Trail) have made this same design choice. I encourage Heartland to consider trying out this option, and I extend my offer once again to be a guinea pig for this idea when we buy our 21FBS in the spring.

I have no doubts that the 21FBS is a great unit in its current form. However, this idea would make it better. :)

- Chris

Hart

Ok, Chris....here is the solution.....get a North Trail 26RKS. You can have the queen bed and room for a 2nd couple on a jack knife sofa/bed. Great layout with a lot of storage. We had ours just 3 weeks.

Or get the 21 and put #2 couple in a tent!!

chrispitude

Hi folks,

Updating an old thread... I see that Rockwood is putting jackbeds in more models now. They call it a murphy bed:

(Edit: according to a thread on rv.net, Rockwood's murphy bed does actually fold and work differently than a traditional RV jack-bed)

2304S:
2304S.jpg

2501SS:
2501SS.jpg

2304:
2304.jpg

2104:
2104.jpg

On some models, it's even an option so the buyer can decide!

I saw some posts from owners which indicated the early beds were not comfortable (there was a dip or gap in the center) but there was a design change made and the later beds are quite comfortable. I still think this would be a fantastic option for the 21FBS! Please pretty please Heartland, I'll be ordering early next year...

What I'd REALLY love is a North Trail version of the 2501SS - sort of a 21FBS on steroids, but still with the angled shower and room to sit comfortably on the throne.

- Chris

Last edited: