2015 Landmark Cracked Sidewall

chuitt

We are in the middle of having a sidewall cracked "fixed" at LaMesa, in Mesa, AZ. The crack runs from the front corner of the curb side slide opening, up to the roof. Jose Campos was our first service rep at La Mesa. I'm finding out how dishonest he is as time goes by. The first time they took some epoxy and filled in the crack and painted it over. Meanwhile, they dripped epoxy down the side of the unit. When I pointed it out to Jose he got a razor and a ladder and scratched it off. The clearcoat was scratched. When I pointed it out, he shrugged and said he would have it buffed out the next time I had it in. (still waiting on that Buff Job, Jose!) They had the unit for 6 weeks the first time. We drove it one trip, 500 miles and the crack was back.

We took it back and they had it for another month, July. This time they cut a gap and put a spacer in the spot. We went on a trip in August. Made it to Flagstaff, 200 miles, and there began a second crack, 2 inch hoizontal going forward, and 4 inches verticle going to the room adjoining the first crack. (Does anyone besides me think this is unstable structure?). Jose says they "opened it up" and saw nothing wrong with the frame. In addition, the roof screws and flange are backing out on that side of the roof now. Any connection there?

So we took it back to Lamesa on September 15th and got Bill Cook as a service adviser. He seemed like a nice enough guy until you ask him to answer a question. Then he gets very loud, sarcastic, and frustrated that he has to explain something. I want to know exactly how they plan to fix it and who is involved in deciding what the problem is and how it should be fixed!?? He says "our fiberglass guy decides". Who is that? "A guy I know at Camping World." We will "open it up to inspect the frame" I say? Now I want to be there to witness this "inspection" Now he is really frustrated. The nerve, the person who spent all of this money for a new Heartland, has the nerve to want the problem fixed and not keep bringing the camper back! It has been with Lamesa going into the third week now. That is almost 12 weeks of lost use of our unit in the first year? For the same problem.

I went and saw Bill last Tuesday in his office. (Boy was he surprised.) He said he is waiting on Heartland for approval. I called Robert Miller at Heartland on the same day. He says he is waiting on the work request. I call Bill and tell him this. He says he will send it again. Like it's a big load for him to bear.

My wife calls Robert Miller this morning because I'm so mad I can't talk. He says they sent the approval for the work to Lamesa, last Thursday. I call Bill Cook this morning. He says they haven't received anything from Heartland and we are waiting. He is surprised when I tell him I called Heartland and they say they sent the approval last Thursday. So he says, Ok they will send it over to get it fixed. I told him I want a call back today with an update once he verifies the authorization. A heated conversation ensues because of this. I'm a medical director at a veterinary hospital. I have to take customer calls all of the time because of satisfaction issues. I would lose my job if I spoke to a customer like he spoke to me.

I did get a call back from Bill Cook. He was calmer. He informed me that they had partial authorization from Heartland for the funds to do the repair. He said the claim had to be submitted again from their end with more detail to get the proper authorizations. So we wait again.

I really hate the run around and red tape. No wonder Jose didn't bother to submit a claim the second time around and again elected to cut a relief cut and put in a little seal. Of course he was not up front with me about it and said that is what the factory recommended as a repair. Which was a lie.

My primary concern is I want to be certain that the best course is being taken to repair this. I want to be shown that the interior frame is in fact being inspected for failure. If this can not be fixed due to a structural fault, I want to talk to someone in knowledge at Heartland about options. Can we get an engineer from Heartland involved to contact all concerned parties, me included?

Bones

We are in the middle of having a sidewall cracked "fixed" at LaMesa, in Mesa, AZ. The crack runs from the front corner of the curb side slide opening, up to the roof. Jose Campos was our first service rep at La Mesa. I'm finding out how dishonest he is as time goes by. The first time they took some epoxy and filled in the crack and painted it over. Meanwhile, they dripped epoxy down the side of the unit. When I pointed it out to Jose he got a razor and a ladder and scratched it off. The clearcoat was scratched. When I pointed it out, he shrugged and said he would have it buffed out the next time I had it in. (still waiting on that Buff Job, Jose!) They had the unit for 6 weeks the first time. We drove it one trip, 500 miles and the crack was back.

We took it back and they had it for another month, July. This time they cut a gap and put a spacer in the spot. We went on a trip in August. Made it to Flagstaff, 200 miles, and there began a second crack, 2 inch hoizontal going forward, and 4 inches verticle going to the room adjoining the first crack. (Does anyone besides me think this is unstable structure?). Jose says they "opened it up" and saw nothing wrong with the frame. In addition, the roof screws and flange are backing out on that side of the roof now. Any connection there?

So we took it back to Lamesa on September 15th and got Bill Cook as a service adviser. He seemed like a nice enough guy until you ask him to answer a question. Then he gets very loud, sarcastic, and frustrated that he has to explain something. I want to know exactly how they plan to fix it and who is involved in deciding what the problem is and how it should be fixed!?? He says "our fiberglass guy decides". Who is that? "A guy I know at Camping World." We will "open it up to inspect the frame" I say? Now I want to be there to witness this "inspection" Now he is really frustrated. The nerve, the person who spent all of this money for a new Heartland, has the nerve to want the problem fixed and not keep bringing the camper back! It has been with Lamesa going into the third week now. That is almost 12 weeks of lost use of our unit in the first year? For the same problem.

I went and saw Bill last Tuesday in his office. (Boy was he surprised.) He said he is waiting on Heartland for approval. I called Robert Miller at Heartland on the same day. He says he is waiting on the work request. I call Bill and tell him this. He says he will send it again. Like it's a big load for him to bear.

My wife calls Robert Miller this morning because I'm so mad I can't talk. He says they sent the approval for the work to Lamesa, last Thursday. I call Bill Cook this morning. He says they haven't received anything from Heartland and we are waiting. He is surprised when I tell him I called Heartland and they say they sent the approval last Thursday. So he says, Ok they will send it over to get it fixed. I told him I want a call back today with an update once he verifies the authorization. A heated conversation ensues because of this. I'm a medical director at a veterinary hospital. I have to take customer calls all of the time because of satisfaction issues. I would lose my job if I spoke to a customer like he spoke to me.

I did get a call back from Bill Cook. He was calmer. He informed me that they had partial authorization from Heartland for the funds to do the repair. He said the claim had to be submitted again from their end with more detail to get the proper authorizations. So we wait again.

I really hate the run around and red tape. No wonder Jose didn't bother to submit a claim the second time around and again elected to cut a relief cut and put in a little seal. Of course he was not up front with me about it and said that is what the factory recommended as a repair. Which was a lie.

My primary concern is I want to be certain that the best course is being taken to repair this. I want to be shown that the interior frame is in fact being inspected for failure. If this can not be fixed due to a structural fault, I want to talk to someone in knowledge at Heartland about options. Can we get an engineer from Heartland involved to contact all concerned parties, me included?

At this point your trailer should still be driveable. I would remove it from this facility immediately as all they are going to do is mess it up more and find a competent person to actually do the repair. Call Heartland and find out what your options are to find an independent person

Garypowell

Frankly you might think about staring over someplace else. With their poor performance to date if they bungle the fix Heartland will probably not help you. And rightly so......if they authorize and pay for a fix then that fix is done and cleared in their thinking.

My my point is if the problem reaccures or is not done correctly it is the repair facility that will have to fix it on their own dime....not Heartland.

Find a good reputable body shop and go that route.

Just two weeks ago I had a similar crack fixed. Heartland fixed it "cosmetically first and a day later it cracked again. Took it back and they removed about 2 - 3 sq feet of skin to find several broken welds and a bad tube.

Totally rewelded and and put an overall plate welded in place.....then reworked the skin an you'd never know I had a problem!

it can be done....but please go independent!

danemayer

Dealer shops may not be a good choice for this type of work. If you can get your insurance company to have an adjuster call you, the adjuster will know which body repair shops do good work on large vehicles. Then ask Heartland to authorize the repair shop.

Or maybe call the local Fire Dep't and ask where they would take one of their trucks to repair collision damage.

chuitt

Frankly you might think about staring over someplace else. With their poor performance to date if they bungle the fix Heartland will probably not help you. And rightly so......if they authorize and pay for a fix then that fix is done and cleared in their thinking.

My my point is if the problem reaccures or is not done correctly it is the repair facility that will have to fix it on their own dime....not Heartland.

Find a good reputable body shop and go that route.

Just two weeks ago I had a similar crack fixed. Heartland fixed it "cosmetically first and a day later it cracked again. Took it back and they removed about 2 - 3 sq feet of skin to find several broken welds and a bad tube.

Totally rewelded and and put an overall plate welded in place.....then reworked the skin an you'd never know I had a problem!

it can be done....but please go independent!

Thanks Gary,

Did you use a local body shop or did you actually have the factory do the work. This Jose Campos told me that kind of repair could only be done at the factory/ I thank you for your input. I will go tomorrow and get the trailer out of their hands and research a body shop to fix it.

wdk450

Thanks Gary,

Did you use a local body shop or did you actually have the factory do the work. This Jose Campos told me that kind of repair could only be done at the factory/ I thank you for your input. I will go tomorrow and get the trailer out of their hands and research a body shop to fix it.

There are independent RV collision repair services out there that can fix most anything with RV framing and fiberglass. Do an internet search, and maybe check RVServiceReviews.com too.

I had the repair with a plate done on a major structural crack problem in the narrow load bearing gap between the bedroom slide front bottom corner and the front hitch overhang. You can't tell the plate is there, and so far the fiberglass crack hasn't come back. Time will tell, though. This was done by an independent repairer.

Garypowell

I went to the factory. Our business takes us all the way up to KY and we have good friends in the Chicago area to stay with while work is being done. Plus the factory shop we do get other things looked at with no charge. They have fixed a bed spot light, recentered the slide outs, check out propane and water systems......for free!

You might be farther away than we were, but it is a repair that any competent body shop will be able to do if they are willing.

jddelano

OP: what floor plan Landmark do you have?

For those who frequently monitor this forum: is the a relatively common problem with Landmarks?

Is the primary cause of these cracks broken wall welds as was mentioned in one case?

Thanks. Dave

danemayer

OP: what floor plan Landmark do you have?

For those who frequently monitor this forum: is the a relatively common problem with Landmarks?

Is the primary cause of these cracks broken wall welds as was mentioned in one case?

Thanks. Dave
Not very common. I think we might hear about maybe 2 per year across various models. I don't think I can say what the underlying cause is, but welds would be a good guess.