ch751 keys and locks

We purchased a brand new 2009 northtrail 31 red last week (6-27-08) and immediately went camping, it was brought to our attention that our keys to the storage compartments are used by many manufacturers, they are the same keys as our last TT. How do we go about getting replacement lock and keys, so I don't have to worry about theft? Isn't this a factory problem that needs to be addressed? We are completely happy and overjoyed with our purchase of this TT!!! Thank you, The Tingleys

jbeletti

Hi Tingley,

This is in no way an official response from the factory, but I wanted to share it with you just the same. It is true that many RV manufacturers use the CH751 key/lockset. This weekend, I was camping in Iowa and a guy from the next campsite over came by to chat with while I was setting up. I needed to get into my ODS storage door and half-jokingly/half-seriously asked the guy if he had a 751 key. He said "hm, I think I do". He pulled his keys from his pocket and presented a 751. I opened my lock and we chuckled. Was it handy - YES. Was it safe that he and 80% of the CG could open my storage doors - perhaps not. I could open theirs as well mind you. Did I feel safe in the CG at night - absolutely. Once I am setup, I do not re-lock the storage doors unless I am leaving the CG for the day.

Here again, I am not making an excuse for why most mfrs use the same key/lockset. Just sharing my story. I am happy my deadbolt is keyed differently (I think it is - never tried my key in anyone else's door).

Jim

I can see where this can be quite handy, however, when traveling and stopping in parking lots for shopping I don't want to worry. I would be devastated to get to the CG and find out my portable poop tank has been lifted, (why anyone would want it, I was using it as an example). Just wondering if this is common to have keys alike, and do people replace them?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
As Jim said, most, if not all manufacturers use the CH751 for the storage bays. They are very easy to change and replacements are available at Camping World and possibly Menards, Lowes and Home D. I still have the 751"s in my Bighorn. You might also be able to do a search on line for replacement locks and get them keyed alike so you only have 1 key for all your storage compartments.

jimtoo

Hi tingleys,

Congratulations on your purchase of the Northtrail unit. Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and family. Here you will find answers to lots of questions and help if you need it.

The CH751 keys are used by just about all RV manufactures for the storage compartments of all their lines of trailers. If you do want to change them out, any locksmith can re key them or you can buy more locks keyed alike at most larger hardware stores, or they can order them for you. You will need to know the length of the lock barrel to get the right size as they come in about 4 different lengths.

JimM

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Have not seen an RV from any manufacturer that doesn't use the 751 key. It's the only one I carry to get my job done. Some shippers that don't seal the main door locks only give the transport drivers the door keys because we already carry the 751 on our key rings.

Lowe's, Home Depot, Menards etc all carry similar type locks on the shelves if you want to change them out.

Me I don't worry about mine. I live deep in the country where nobody bothers you, keep nothing of value in the trailer compartments and when camping I feel pretty good about where I camp and the people I meet there.

Seems I always end up around full timers and snowbirds and really can't picture grandpa and grandma crawling into my trailer through a small compartment LOL.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
OK here I go.

For all you veteran Heartland owner's you know where I am going with this. It used to be that Heartland was innovative in their early years and did use a different lock. It was not the 751 keyed lock like today but a completely different type of lock that only Heartland owners would have. I miss that. It was nice to be different in that regard. Back when I had my Bighorn with the different locks, people would try their 751 key only to find out that didn't work and I would just smile.

Mark

Chuck Richard

I agree with the others and in the past had these keys on my TT and never worried. In those days with my little storage area I did not wory but now with the BH large storage I have more valuable items to protect. I changed the locks and it was very easy, I got mine at the dealers parts shop. The ones I used were the round securiy kind and arer nice except for one thing. I can only remove the key in the locked position. I will be on the lookout for a different set were I can remove the kay and leave the lock open while staying in my site.

CampingJunkie

I replaced all my locks with Combi Locks and love them.

2477463020103100053S425x425Q85.jpg

I highly recommend. Easy to change out.