Need to replace microwave

heyjude

Hi,

We have a 2013 Bighorn, and the microwave broke and is not repairable, according to the appliance repair person.

Can we just order a replacement microwave, hopefully the same size, and put it in?

Has anyone done this, and how difficult is it?

Thanks!

Judy

VKTalley

Hi,

We have a 2013 Bighorn, and the microwave broke and is not repairable, according to the appliance repair person.

Can we just order a replacement microwave, hopefully the same size, and put it in?

Has anyone done this, and how difficult is it?

Thanks!

Judy

Judy, measure the opening for your microwave (side to side, top down and front to back). You may be able to replace it with a house one. We did in our last two trailers, and, per my request, we installed a convection/microwave as i refuse to light the gas oven.

BusManRG

I know that a few on this forum have, but most that are frequent posters are either in Las Vegas or on their way there...lucky bums!
Here is a link to Jarrod's (Jesstalkn) microwave change out. I think he changed them out 3 times before he found one they liked.
https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/54076-Project-LM-365?p=474183&viewfull=1#post474183

From what I've read, I don't think it's too difficult, but I can't say much. Mine died but it's being replace under warranty at the dealership!

Sandy

heyjude

I know that a few on this forum have, but most that are frequent posters are either in Las Vegas or on their way there...lucky bums!
Here is a link to Jarrod's (Jesstalkn) microwave change out. I think he changed them out 3 times before he found one they liked.
https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/54076-Project-LM-365?p=474183&viewfull=1#post474183

From what I've read, I don't think it's too difficult, but I can't say much. Mine died but it's being replace under warranty at the dealership!

Sandy

Thanks.... I was not sure what we would need to do about things like watts and amps...

- - - Updated - - -

Judy, measure the opening for your microwave (side to side, top down and front to back). You may be able to replace it with a house one. We did in our last two trailers, and, per my request, we installed a convection/microwave as i refuse to light the gas oven.[/QUOTE

Thanks! Just trying to figure out if we need to worry about the watts and amps on a new one....

danemayer

Heartland may have installed a 20 amp dedicated circuit breaker for the outlet used by the microwave. You should check your main circuit breaker panel to make sure that's what you have. If so, any residential microwave or microwave/convection oven that fits the space will have enough power. Most residential units will be the same size as what you have.

The microwaves are usually held in place by a couple of large bolts from the top, in conjunction with a support on the wall behind the unit.

Unfortunately, there's no standard placement of the top mounting bolts, or of the exhaust vent on the back. So you may have to make some adjustments for the new unit. But others have done so, and if I recall correctly Jesstalkn had to make adjustments repeatedly as he tried out several different microwaves. Here's a link.

Birchwood

We replaced the convection oven in our Landmark with a microwave from Home Depot.Not difficult to install and fits perfectly.

MTPockets

We replaced the convection oven in our Landmark with a microwave from Home Depot.Not difficult to install and fits perfectly.
We did this too.. we replaced our Microwave/convection oven with a GE from Home Depot. Takes two people to lift into place but no problem.

VKTalley

Thanks.... I was not sure what we would need to do about things like watts and amps...

- - - Updated - - -

Judy, measure the opening for your microwave (side to side, top down and front to back). You may be able to replace it with a house one. We did in our last two trailers, and, per my request, we installed a convection/microwave as i refuse to light the gas oven.[/QUOTE

Thanks! Just trying to figure out if we need to worry about the watts and amps on a new one....

Totally understand that! We haven't had any issues with our convection/microwave, power wise. And like several others have said, it is a two person job mounting it but ours mounted in easily with minor adjustments.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We recently had some electrical problems at a park that we went to and had to replace our Frigidaire micro/convection with another Frigidaire from Lowe's. The new one fit into the bracket for the old one and works great! More powerful and has additional features that we will use.

FARMER45

I just replaced ours with a GE Profile convection oven, only had to drill new holes for screws and Elec cord. Best price was from Sears