Experience with long bakes in oven?

SButler83

Hi all, one thing I have found that seems like it would be perfect both in fit and a disposable wrapper would be the costco frozen lasagnas, but I'm wondering about how long propane would last running the oven at 375F for 2 hours. Any experience there?

wdk450

Hi all, one thing I have found that seems like it would be perfect both in fit and a disposable wrapper would be the costco frozen lasagnas, but I'm wondering about how long propane would last running the oven at 375F for 2 hours. Any experience there?

Propane usage should not be a problem, but baking in an RV oven is usually a disaster. We had a member of our RV singles group make lasagne for a potluck, and it was about an hour late and still a soupy mess. I added baking stones to mine, but will use my countertop convection/broiler instead of the RV oven.

Do a Google search on "Baking in an RV oven".

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
If you have a convection/microwave it will do a much better job n my opinion. We use ours exclusively for baking. Haven't turned on the propane oven in over 5 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crumgater

We use our gas oven all the time. No added tiles. No problems. You might want to double-check the oven temperature is getting to where you set it - just with a simple oven thermometer.

Once the oven is hot, it doesn't take a lot of propane to keep it hot. The more often you open the oven to check the food, the more gas you'll use, but still... I would expect it to take a LONG time to burn through 1lb of propane in the oven.... like 6-10 hours?

That's a guess.... but the high burner on the stove top is a 9,000 BTU/hr burner, and 1lb of propane contains 21,000 BTU. The burner in the oven is long, but a lower flame... so probably close to the same heat input when the flame is on high... but, again, the flame goes off once the temperature is reached, and only comes back on to maintain temp. Our oven takes about 10 minutes to reach 400F (est. 0.1lb of propane used). We've often cooked multiple items in it, leaving it on all day long (i.e. at football tailgates).

Domi

I have baked pork lions for about 1.5 hours and a bread bowl for an hour with no problems and they came out very good. I would check it out first to see how it works before using it for a party but once you have confidence it should be fine. Ours is a pain to get the pilot light going but once it is it works like a champ.

John