Looking for a Solar Eclipse viewing site for a couple armature astronomers!!

bigdob24

I'm a Heartland owner that's a little unhappy with the Good Sams RV campground in Columbia MO I had reservations with for over 5 months that has now tripled there rates for the day before , day of , and day after the solar eclipse 8/21/17.
I would like to find someone that's on the centerline of the eclipse that may have room for 2-3 RVs .
We would be self sufficient with water and generators so nothing needed except a level spot to park.
Of coarse we will have lots of the latest and greatest observing equipment " H Alpha and white light "
to share .
This can be anywhere on the centerline in IL or MO .
Get ahold of me and let's see if we can work something out.
Dan

Sarge

Just a suggestion - But we travel to Branson, MO every year for the Indian Motorcycle Rally -

And there are a few RV parks on Indian Point past Silver Dollar City.

Always have a great time - Close to Table Top lake - Good hunting areas depending on season...

Sarge

AAdams

For those wondering where the center line for the eclipse is you can find it here

Hope you find a spot to get a good view.

Alan

ncc1701e

The center line runs almost right through and along an area of western KY called Lan Between the Lakes. There are several campgrounds in the area. At the northern end is Hillmans Ferry (320 camp sites on the lake) a very nice COE park. My prefered campground when in that area. Back up road closer to Illinois is Paducah, KY. Fairly reasonable and easily accessed from interstate campground there also.

Alan_B

Re: Looking for a Solar Eclipse viewing site for a couple amatuer astronomers!!

The center line runs almost right through and along an area of western KY called Lan Between the Lakes. There are several campgrounds in the area. At the northern end is Hillmans Ferry (320 camp sites on the lake) a very nice COE park. My prefered campground when in that area. Back up road closer to Illinois is Paducah, KY. Fairly reasonable and easily accessed from interstate campground there also.

There are a couple of Corps of Engineers campgrounds in the Land Between the Lakes area. They all have 6 month booking windows, so you can book them in a few months. That is good news, as it means they are not full yet!

Illinois has several state parks along the eclipse line. See their web page here: https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/recreation/Pages/TotalSolarEclipse.aspx

They have a 12-month booking window. So many of the best parks along the line are already full (such as Giant City). We just booked some space in the Randolph County State Recreation Area just north of Chester IL. That park, along with several other IL parks, take reservations on reserveamerica.com. Fort Massac State Park still has openings as of yesterday (spots that will fit 40-ft. units with 50 amp service).