Cummins and Ram might Duke it out

Bones

So who would buy a ram if it no longer comes with a Cummins engine.........

Lawsuit spat.

- - - Updated - - -

I wish I didn't hit that button I meant to say Fiat

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
I doubt there will be a "Divorce" in this family....last I knew the Cummins contract was for many more years...What is a few million dollars in the overall scheme of this business relationship.......

rhodies1

So who would buy a ram if it no longer comes with a Cummins engine.........

Lawsuit spat.

- - - Updated - - -

I wish I didn't hit that button I meant to say Fiat

I have head this rumour from various sources,supposedly 2017 is the final year for the Cummins in the Ram,they are going to a FIAT engine.If you look at the new Nissan Titan XL it now has a 355 hp Cummins engine..Rumor is Nissan is looking at building a 3/4 ton model to house the former Ram Cummins engine.
Time will tell"...........

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Look at the bright side, if rams do not come with a cummins in them in the future you dodge owners will all have limited edition collector vehicles some day!

Bobby A

I have head this rumour from various sources,supposedly 2017 is the final year for the Cummins in the Ram,they are going to a FIAT engine.If you look at the new Nissan Titan XL it now has a 355 hp Cummins engine..Rumor is Nissan is looking at building a 3/4 ton model to house the former Ram Cummins engine.
Time will tell"...........
Yea, when I seen that Nissan with the Cummins engine in it, I knew something was up !!

Sarge

With 865ftlbs of torque - Losing a few tenths of a gallon is no big deal to me.

I registered my truck to my AZ property address to avoid the CA emissions crap -

But it seems to be a driveability issue...

Sarge

Bones

With 865ftlbs of torque - Losing a few tenths of a gallon is no big deal to me.

I registered my truck to my AZ property address to avoid the CA emissions crap -

But it seems to be a driveability issue...

Sarge

I'm more concerned with what are they doing to further plug up the exhaust such that you loose Fuel mileage albeit very minimal.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I'm a Cummins guy, not necessarily a Ram guy. Nissan does not have great reviews in the past few years. However if Toyota made a 1 ton truck with a Cummins , I would buy it in a heartbeat. Trace

CarterKraft

The 1 ton Toyota dually with the CAT 6.6 was the one that missed.

It doesn't surprise me at all if this is true, FPT (Fiat Powertrains) is already building engines. Buying engines at a premium I'm sure from another manufacturer is hard on the bottom line.

This type of teamwork helped CAT to exit the OTR truck market and report record profits after doing so.

Of course every couple of years the rumor mill fires up and starts reporting the "Cummins Contract" is expiring, I wouldn't be real worried.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Just picked up my Cummins. I'm good for a few years. I'll worry about it then.

Jim.Allison

I doubt there is any substance to the rumor. The Ram line, and the Cummins 6.7 are synonymous with each other. That is a reason why there is a BIG "Cummins Logo" on the side of every diesel Ram.

AAdams

The article said "2013 through 2015 model year Ram 2500 pickup trucks with 6.7L Cummins diesel engines " So right now it only applies to the 2500's.

Sarge

I'm more concerned with what are they doing to further plug up the exhaust such that you loose Fuel mileage albeit very minimal.

I was thinking it would be more of an ignition curve / fuel burn rate computer update as oposed to a converter change.

Looks like it doesn't effect us anyway - Someone posted its only for the little RAMs with only four wheels.......:cool:

Sarge

Bones

I was thinking it would be more of an ignition curve / fuel burn rate computer update as oposed to a converter change.

Looks like it doesn't effect us anyway - Someone posted its only for the little RAMs with only four wheels.......:cool:

Sarge

I hope so but you never know. :cool: I think a lot of the emission woes have me thinking for down the road though.