Disappearing Tires

aekisu

Dennis
I just got back from a 3900 mile trip and I discover that the tread on both right side tires is almost completely gone. I mean gone. Worn off. No tread left after. Need to be replaced.

The four tires have a total of about 5000 miles on them and the two left side tires show almost no wear.

It's apparent there is a problem somewhere. Can someone point me in the right direction?

jbeletti

I suggest you go to your nearest Heartland dealer to have this checked out. Sounds like the axles may be out of square with the frame (a guess). Your dealer will work with Heartland to resolve this.

Jim

cmart

Jim I'm sure your monitoring this; my right front tire is almost treadless on the right side, I think its the one on the axle that was replaced earlier. My 1 year warranty ran out 28 May 08. My fellow Bighorn neighbor at my local campsite spotted this while we were admiring each others 3055RLs. Any help available???? Curt.

Uncle Rog

Howdy, Lippert replaced the entire spring assemblies on my rig. I met the rep at the shop and measured the square from from the pin box to the axles / hangers. They were / are 1" out. He said that was OK, I think now I am out of luck as my warranty is out also. HL installs the axles and they are now in the clear. I never had any wear problems as the tires just kept blowing out! HL did make better than an honest attempt to satisfy my issues, wish I had been smart enough to press this one....

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
After putting 4 GoodYear G614 tires on the BH, I found a trailer shop that was able to check the axle alignment, and I turned out good. Shop manager said alignment should be checked on a regular basis, depending on use of cours. Could the tire issues discussed be related to alignment?

dewwood

Since both tires on one side are worn but not on the other, I would look for something besides axle alignment. It may well be the axles but normally the tires on both sides would wear if the axle is out of line. Could something be rubbing on those tires? Check alignment first as that will determine if that is the issue then you can fix it or look for something else.

Tom of Ypsi

I have trouble trying to picture some one traveling 3900 miles and not noticing tire wear before this. The other problem I have is a neighbor has to see that a tire is almost treadless. Before anyones coach is moved a walk around should be done each a every time. Check tires, lights, hitch, etc for the safety of you and your family and for all others that are traveling around you. I know that wanting to get to your weekend/vaction destination or going back home is all important but an extra 5 minutes will make sure you get there and not where you do not want to go.
Good luck on getting your coaches fixed and happy and safe camping.

aekisu

Dennis
My guess was also an alignment issue.

I guess is what is ticking me off about this is, the warranty ran out in January and now I'm out two tires and a possible very expensive repair bill (assuming the problem can be fixed) for a preexisting condition that came from the factory. Talk about feeling screwed.

There's got to be something that can be done about this problem.

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Could be alignment or even brakes dragging but have Y'all checked your air pressures. Low air pressures will wear a tire out on a heavy trailer very fast.

aekisu

Dennis
I have trouble trying to picture some one traveling 3900 miles and not noticing tire wear before this. The other problem I have is a neighbor has to see that a tire is almost treadless. Before anyones coach is moved a walk around should be done each a every time. Check tires, lights, hitch, etc for the safety of you and your family and for all others that are traveling around you. I know that wanting to get to your weekend/vaction destination or going back home is all important but an extra 5 minutes will make sure you get there and not where you do not want to go.
Good luck on getting your coaches fixed and happy and safe camping.

/sarcasm on

Certainly, it must be my fault.

Never mind that besides doing a walkaround before pulling out in the morning, I also do a quick walkaround at each rest break. Normally that includes a kick of the tires to make sure one hasn't gone flat.

Next time I'll carrying a tire depth gauge and check them because I'll know to expect a tire wear problem in 3900 miles.

Give me a break !!

/sarcasm off

Uncle Rog

aekisu, another good idea is to invest in a TPMS, Doran or other, I also use an infrared heat sensor in concert with the visual during stops. Harbor Freight has one for less than $20...........

Forrest Fetherolf

Howdy, Lippert replaced the entire spring assemblies on my rig. I met the rep at the shop and measured the square from from the pin box to the axles / hangers. They were / are 1" out. He said that was OK, I think now I am out of luck as my warranty is out also. HL installs the axles and they are now in the clear. I never had any wear problems as the tires just kept blowing out! HL did make better than an honest attempt to satisfy my issues, wish I had been smart enough to press this one....

Rog,
Lippert Rep told you 1" is OK? This is info from Lippert's axle manual............

[FONT=Arial,Bold]Axle & Suspension Installation[/FONT]
The single most important portion of axle installation is parallel alignment of the
trailer axle(s) to the tow vehicle or drive axle(s). Parallel installation allows for correct
and safe control, prolonged tread life and will all but eliminate dog-tracking. Proper
alignment is most readily achieved by measuring from the center of the trailer king pin to
the center of each end of the axles.
The tolerance should not vary any more than 1/16". The difference between
the centers of one axle and end centers of the other axle must not vary more than 1/8"
in multiple axle configurations.
Lippert Components, Inc. tubular axles are made of high strength steel to
prevent metal fatigue and provide the best possible welding conditions. The round
tubular axles allow for even and uniform structure.

I checked my 3600RL and the difference was not more than 1/8". I verified RV was level side to side, dropped plumb-bob from center of hitch-pin to find point on ground, measured from point on ground to leading edge of both front axle spring mounting brackets, then measured distance between front axle bracket to rear axle bracket. Same method used to determine hitch-pin to axles, etc.

Forrest

Uncle Rog

Thanks Forrest, I think I have been ho'sd so to speak. I just called Joe @ J&L and he is going to call Lippert locally for me and see what can be done. The rig does not dog track or pull funny at all, but having the wheels in a straight line would be nice!

Forrest Fetherolf

Rog,

The "dog tracking" is a visual thing and looks bad. My main concern............both axles are properly aligned with each other, if not, will cause excessive tire wear, excessive tire heat, unnecessary side loading on suspension, and trailer sway (walking). Most all trailers with proper alignment will "dog track" to the right due to crowned roads.

Forrest

Uncle Rog

AH SO, now I know the difference! My tires are not the same distance from each other, left / right side, and I know that is not right. I wonder if that helped to over heat the chi-com bombs and contribute to the 2 rear axle explosions?

Forrest Fetherolf

AH SO, now I know the difference! My tires are not the same distance from each other, left / right side, and I know that is not right. I wonder if that helped to over heat the chi-com bombs and contribute to the 2 rear axle explosions?

Rog,

Different distance between left/right side will cause the trailer to turn right (if distance is greater on left side) or turn left (if distance is greater on right side). Turning action is not possible because TV is pulling the trailer straight, tire scuffing will occur causing premature tire and/or suspension failure.

Forrest

Uncle Rog

That is probably my problem then, the tires AND the suspension were affected. I will remedy this before the Sept trip!

cmart

Tom of YPSI. I only have 800 miles on the tires why should I be checking for tire wear on a practically brand new unit? This isn't my first rodeo, I know what to expect and what not to, and this is not expected.

aekisu

Dennis
Okay, I have located the problem and it might be a good idea for others to take a look at their trailer.

My axles are 1/2" out of square (just measuring from the center spring mount) and the springs had twisted on the spring perch enough that the retainer clips were unbent and not holding the leafs together.

Take a look at the torque on your axle u-bolts. Mine were torqued to about 20 ft/pounds. Certainly not enough torque for a 1/2" fine thread bolt.

I'm waiting at this point to see what Mor/Ryde says they should be torqued to.