Taking a truck survey!

JandK

Hi folks! I am new to the forum, but appreciating all of your wisdom shared as my husband and I do our research and prepare to be on the road fulltime when he retires next year. We are planning to order our Heartland Landmark Newport next year at the Hershey RV Show. In the meantime, we must make a decision on a truck.

We know that we will purchase a 350/3500 diesel dually, as our unit weights in at 18000 lbs. However, we have not been truck owners before and I know that some of you are passionate about your truck. So please share your wisdom and advice - should we buy the new 2017 Ford 350 that just came out, or the 3500 Silverado/Sierra? Both seem to have great towing capacity, but is there any major difference between them that you folks are aware of? We are not really considering the 3500 Ram - I'm not sure why, but maybe one of you will convince us that we should look at it also.

So I'm taking a survey of all you truck loving owners - which truck should we purchase to pull a Landmark around the country fulltime for the next 5 to 10 years? Thanks for your info!

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Everyone has a different opinion of the "best" truck. I am very happy with my 2011 Ram 3500 DRW. It tows my LM very well, gets decent fuel mileage and very comfortable to ride in.

Good luck with your choice.

Lynn1130

You might want to start by researching each truck, their tow numbers, the fuel mileage and reports by major unbiased outfits that evaluate trucks and the trucks that you are considering. Consumer Reports does surveys of vehicle owners and gives reports on most all. Some of the truck magazines do in-depth evaluations of every phase of new trucks as they come out. You will get a lot of information here and I am sure some of it will help but most will be pretty biased. I have never owned a Ford or Dodge and would not own either so I can tell you about Chevys and Duramax trucks but that's it so you get a pretty one sided review depending upon who owns and drives what. Personally if I were unknowing about trucks in general and had a year to look I would be visiting a number of dealers and driving every truck I was interested in.

Diamondjim

Don't ignore consideration of the RAM3500. We put 8K on our 2005 RAM2500HD this summer (as snowbirds to Ohio & NE) and could not be more pleased with our 4 months on the road.

Listen to others suggestions to get all the specs and go from there.

Good Luck with your decision.

Oregon_Camper

Your question is too hard to really answer....it's like asking which is the best color in a rainbow.... :)

Go look at all brands and pick the one you like the best. They all the pos/neg over each other. We love our F-350, but my buddy has Ram and that is a sweet truck as well.

SNOKING

Drive all three and buy the one "you" like the best. It is reported the GM is longer going to use the troublesome CP4-2 injection pump in 2017. So Ford is the remaining one using this injection pump. RAM still uses the more reliable CP3 injection pump.

However all three will tow your planned new trailer. When we bought our new 2015 RAM last year, we bought a 120K 8 year warranty. It is the second warranty I have ever purchased, as these new trucks are very complex. Chris

"Hi-Viz" Bill

Hi folks! I am new to the forum, but appreciating all of your wisdom shared as my husband and I do our research and prepare to be on the road fulltime when he retires next year. We are planning to order our Heartland Landmark Newport next year at the Hershey RV Show. In the meantime, we must make a decision on a truck.

We know that we will purchase a 350/3500 diesel dually, as our unit weights in at 18000 lbs. However, we have not been truck owners before and I know that some of you are passionate about your truck. So please share your wisdom and advice - should we buy the new 2017 Ford 350 that just came out, or the 3500 Silverado/Sierra? Both seem to have great towing capacity, but is there any major difference between them that you folks are aware of? We are not really considering the 3500 Ram - I'm not sure why, but maybe one of you will convince us that we should look at it also.

So I'm taking a survey of all you truck loving owners - which truck should we purchase to pull a Landmark around the country fulltime for the next 5 to 10 years? Thanks for your info!

We're just NEW to this RV life also .. My new '16 GMC DRW Denali is a "beast" & pulls our new LM3645 Newport like it wasn't even there .. And IMO, there's nothing more distinctive than the Front Grill of our GMC !!!
2016 GMC Denali & LM365 Newport.jpg

Jim.Allison

Not exactly sure why you would not consider the Ram with its formidable 6.7 Cummins Diesel and AISIN 6 speed transmission. I bought a 2500, SRW, Crew, short bed, 4X4, with the 6.7 for my Big Country. I bought the BC and the Truck at the same time and did not realize that the 2500 required some mods to efficiently tow my 15500 GVWR BC. Still it's performance was incredible, and it was one size too small. RECENTLY, based on my experience with the 2500 SRW, I purchased the 2017 RAM 3500 in the same configuration except I ordered the long bed and AISIN transmission. One of the features of the 6.7 that I like is 15000 mile oil and filter changes. AND I like the fact that the Ram has 2 less cylinders, and basically performs as well as the competition with 900 ft lbs of torque, and that the SRW has more than adequate payload capacity to handle my pin load, and the towing capacity is well within the limits of my power train.

One thing that scared me away from the Ford is that they were having some mechanical problems with their newly designed power stroke. I learned that in order to repair some problems with the power stroke the cab has to be removed. It may not mean much while still under warranty but an engine repair requiring removal of the cab out of warranty could be quite expensive.

When I was shopping I was enamored with the Ford, particularly with the "King Ranch" edition. It was well appointed, but like I said I feared the problems I might encounter with the Ford. I never considered the GM product, although the motor and powertrain of the GM product is proven.

Once I decided to postpone my purchase of the Ford, I began looking closely at the RAM truck at the behest of a friend. I'm glad I did, I have not had any problems with my 2013 RAM, and my 2017 is a pure joy to drive.

I did have one problem with the 2013, but most of that relatively minor, but aggravating problem was exacerbated by an incompetent dealer service department. I changed dealers and service departments and the problem was solved.

In the end, I found the RAM Laramie as nicely appointed, or better appointed than the Ford. I love the performance.

Minor annoyance, is the RAM telephone interface will not allow voice text with Apple iPhone devices.

Good luck in your Truck purchase. BTW YouTube is a great resource for Truck reviews. Search problems and reviews for the truck model you are considering and see for yourself what people are saying.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Hey Jim: They must have changed to program on the 2017, my 2016 has life time oil and filter changes every 5,000 miles for the life I own the truck..regardless of total mileage.

Jim.Allison

Hey Jim: They must have changed to program on the 2017, my 2016 has life time oil and filter changes every 5,000 miles for the life I own the truck..regardless of total mileage.

Nothing has changed. According the owner's manual the oil change interval for a Cummins 6.7 is 15K, and has been that way since 2013. Glad you have a program, I would take advantage of it, but it was not part of my deal. Anyway, I prefer to change my own oil so I that I can control the brand, and insure the correct oil is used.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We're just NEW to this RV life also .. My new '16 GMC DRW Denali is a "beast" & pulls our new LM3645 Newport like it wasn't even there .. And IMO, there's nothing more distinctive than the Front Grill of our GMC !!!
View attachment 48137

Love that grill!

We go to the State Fair of Texas nearly every year where they have all the new cars and trucks for the next year on display, for you to sit in and check out, side by side, without having to deal with any salespeople. They do have representatives on hand to answer questions.

Anyway, sitting in all three, we liked the Dodge and GM products better than Ford. From there, we looked for used to get it in a price range we liked. Have had 2 GMC trucks before this one, so we leaned that way.

Love ours!
83966e00b033943428cc338d05f109c2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Erika:

Is this the picture where you had to trim the tree to get in or out of the site????

No that pic is at The NTX rally in Weatherford.

Here's our site at our current park. We did some trimming earlier this spring but it needs it again!

52095f3fa3c3115a183fa2722bf079cf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SNOKING

Nothing has changed. According the owner's manual the oil change interval for a Cummins 6.7 is 15K, and has been that way since 2013. Glad you have a program, I would take advantage of it, but it was not part of my deal. Anyway, I prefer to change my own oil so I that I can control the brand, and insure the correct oil is used.

15K or 6 months for new Ram/Cummins oil changes.

Jim.Allison

15K or 6 months for new Ram/Cummins oil changes.

Correct!!!!! I have made it to 15K once. The 6 month mark, or a major trip will cause me to change my oil prior to 15K.

Some sample, and test their oil and go a lot further than 15K, but a oil and filter change are not that much more than the sample testing.

hoefler

All three will perform exceptionally when kept with in their limits. Almost, if not more importantly, is to find a dealer with a competant and well trained service department.