Water leak while traveling

Jepzilla

We are on our first trip in our 2009 3200ES and after driving a distance in light rain and wet roads discovered a very wet carpet. The carpet was wet for only about a four foot stretch under where the main slide is. I am guessing the water came from underneath but looking at the seals and the underbellly everything looks fine. What could cause such a leak?

Thanks,

Jepzilla

Freckles

Founding New York Chapter Leader-Retired
The rubber seal should be pointing toward the outside when slide is out and toward the inside when in. I had noticed carpet showing in wheel well area took back to dealer for repair !! The dealer added water proofing to area. I knew this could lead to problem in the future. I also used great stuff foam to fill any gaps under the 5er and went back over next day with black spray paint.
2008 Sundance 2900MK #0414 2002 2500HD GMC 8.1 Allison

Pulltab

Our unit did the same thing, the wheels throw the water up and the wind pushes it up into the carpet. Because we were on the road I bought a 2" wide garage door seal for about $10 and screwed it to the underneat of the mating surface so that the seal would cover that gap. Kind of hard to explain, but basically when the silde come in and meets the frame, that is where the water gets in.

bobolink

I'm having the same problem with my 3200 ES. My dealer has adjusted the slide and attached the wipe seal better. I just returned from Branson in a storm but it still leaks when traveling. Somehow, the water is being thrown up from the tires. I have wet carpet from the dining table to almost the end of the couch. This is the third time. I would like to better understand where Pulltab attached the garage door seal.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Underneath the slide closest to the rv the area where the slide is there is a seam which needs to be sealed. You need to caulk this area and that should solve the problem. We had as well as several of our friends had the same problem and after sealing this area the problem was solved.

bobolink

Jim, I must be a little slow. When you say "slide closest to the rv", do you mean the main part of the coach? What I see is a galvanized "box" sitting on the frame. The wheels are right below the box. There's some gap between the box and the frame. There's also what appears to be a hard nylon strip where I think the slide mates when it slides out. I have a wipe strip on the bottom attached by a white metal strip. This is on the driver's side of the rv.

H

Heartland Service

Under the unit on the exterior, you will see a metal pan that the slide out drops down into. The corner where that pan attaches to the floor needs to be sealed. Hope that clarifies it.

bobolink

So that's what that galvanized pan is for. Well, the black plastic is loose near the front of the slide. My coach is going back to the dealer on Saturday to again try to fix this and while in Branson I discovered my curb side bedroom window leaks and there's a leak in the driver's side main slide, which I think is probably 1 or more windows there too. Most of my windows do not fit flush to the fiberglass. They trim ring actually stands away from the fiberglass. I was told there's a seal in there by the dealer I purchased from, but who knows?

Thanks for the clarification.

biggziff

If you travel with the roof vents open it can create a low pressure effect in the rig which can draw water mist into any opening.

vangoes

Floor Pan

Under the unit on the exterior, you will see a metal pan that the slide out drops down into. The corner where that pan attaches to the floor needs to be sealed. Hope that clarifies it.

Heartland Service,
Is there anyway you can post a picture of the area.....would really help. Thanks in advance.

FennerJ

Heartland Dealer Service
If you are referring to a flush floor slide out. You will need go to the exterior of the unit and look under the slide out, there is a metal pan that attaches to the floor of the unit. the slide out drops into this pan when out giving you the flush floor.

Leak in main slide Bighorn 2006

We have had a wet carpet close to the wheels towards the front of the rig. I noticed a black tarp type material along the main body when the slide is out. This material is visible when the slide is out. Where the vertical meets the horizontal there was a tear in the tarp towards the front of the rig probably caused by pebbles thrown up by wheels. I have used silicone fix the tear.
I don't if this will solve the problem have to wait to test it in January 2010.
So could this be the cause of the leaks?
charlie

FennerJ

Heartland Dealer Service
Although that tarp really does not cover and prevent water from getting inside the unit every opening found and blocked is another prevention from water intrusion.

Leak in slide out Bighorn 2006

Hi Fenner,
I am still dealing with the leak when traveling. In checking the 'wiper seal' the black rubber strip that goes the length of the slide out.
At the end closest to the front above the wheel, the rubber seal has gone soft so that when the slide is retracted the soft end curls in and does not stay pressed against the floor of the slide like the rest of the rubber.
I noticed in one post that there was talk about PSA trim pieces to fix this.
What are they and how does one attach them to the original rubber wiper?
(I hope that my explanation is clear: the wiper seal is attached with a metal strip)

look forward to a speed response
charlieallen