backup cameras

danemayer

Hi FirstTimer,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. We've got a great bunch of friendly and helpful people here so I'm sure you'll get some feedback shortly on backup cameras.

Boscowtx

I just picked our new Big Country, the observation camera is super easy to install your self, it's basically four screws and attach the wire. Took me maybe 20 min. Our dealer was going to charge us 200 bucks.

Piperflyer

I installed one on my rig and have only used it once. Most spots I go into are pull-thru's, so it really was a waste of money for me.

pegmikef

I installed one on my rig and have only used it once. Most spots I go into are pull-thru's, so it really was a waste of money for me.

Me too. Have not used it since I installed it. I am thinking of changing the angle so I can use it to keep track of the traffic behind me on busy interstates.

"Hi-Viz" Bill

Are backup cameras a popular item? I am thinking about having dealer install one.

Our Landmark 365 came from the factory with the housing & was pre-wired .. I purchased the Furrion System .. it was basically a plug-n-play installation, maybe 10 min.

It has a continuous feed while diving and it is invaluable to me .. can monitor traffic from behind and see clearances when passing other vehicles.

A win / win for me.

I have NOT used it for backing yet ...

BusManRG

Do most of you leave the camera permanently mounted? Or do you take it down and store it between trips? We are not fortunate enough to be able to store our unit permanently on private property. We'll eventually store it, like our old RV, in a storage facility. Could it easily grow legs and walk away?

SNOKING

Put a switch in the power lead and turn it off, as have the blue light on attracts attention to it. I was also thinking about tipping mine up a bit to see behind better. Chris

3ares

I have a 275 RE XLT Sundance. I want to install a backup camera. Does anyone know how to find the wire or wires for the reverse lights?
Thanks

jbeletti

I have a 275 RE XLT Sundance. I want to install a backup camera. Does anyone know how to find the wire or wires for the reverse lights?
Thanks

Not sure you have reverse lights on the RV, but what lot of people do is tap into the clearance light circuit. Most do so by taking apart the center, high-mounted clearance light and tapping into the hot and ground that feed it and use that to power the camera. In that fashion, you will need to drive with your lights on (at least the clearance lights, if not your headlights). This is how I wired and operate my camera.

SNOKING

It is also reported that you need to have LED clearance lights, or the voltage will be to low to power the camera correctly. Chris

pegmikef

Not sure you have reverse lights on the RV, but what lot of people do is tap into the clearance light circuit. Most do so by taking apart the center, high-mounted clearance light and tapping into the hot and ground that feed it and use that to power the camera. In that fashion, you will need to drive with your lights on (at least the clearance lights, if not your headlights). This is how I wired and operate my camera.

Ditto.

TxRoadWarrior362

Our Landmark 365 came from the factory with the housing & was pre-wired .. I purchased the Furrion System .. it was basically a plug-n-play installation, maybe 10 min.

It has a continuous feed while diving and it is invaluable to me .. can monitor traffic from behind and see clearances when passing other vehicles.

A win / win for me.

I have NOT used it for backing yet ...

What Furrion system did you purchase? I believe our Warrior is also pre wired, it has the molded area for the rear camera, and I think the sales guy mentioned it. When you say plug and play, how does your in cab monitor recieve the signal/picture from the camera?
Thanks, Tim

richheck

Seasoned Member

Same here, great system

Available form Amazon

[h=1]Furrion FOS48TAPK-BL Wireless High-Speed RV Observation System with Mounting Bracket[/h]

Cane.MBA

What Furrion system did you purchase? I believe our Warrior is also pre wired, it has the molded area for the rear camera, and I think the sales guy mentioned it. When you say plug and play, how does your in cab monitor recieve the signal/picture from the camera?
Thanks, Tim

I can't remember the exact Furrion model I purchased from Amazon, but it was plug and play into my Cyclone 4250. There is a separate monitor that plugs in via cigarette adapter in the cab of your vehicle. The camera is connected wirelessly to the monitor. Even though my unit claimed it was good to 100', it didn't make it through 43' of Toy Hauler. However, I purchased a high gain wifi antennae to boost reception, but have not had a chance to test it yet.

Mike

"Hi-Viz" Bill

Thanks, Tim

This is what I installed ...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010XWNFOM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The "lighter plug-in" monitor receives the signal wirelessly, simply needs to be "paired" with the camera !! My total rig is 60' long, and the signal is strong and has never wavered !!