Question on my new back up Gen????

Theganch

I know what some of you are going to say about a cheep generator……but here’s the question anyway.
Although I have the original generator in the trailer, I went a bought a cheep Wal-Mart 4500 generator to run the A/C during the day……to keep the Hrs off the one in the trailer. I have a 2008, 3010 I bought last year before winter.

The question is…..

Even when I turn off all the breakers in the trailer and use the battery disconnect….. the second I go to “plug in “ the cord into the trailer, the GFI trips. The cable seems to be fine and the gen seems to work fine when I plug in lights, tools ect.

The cheep gen has a 20 amp GFI, but why does it trip even though there is no draw???

Thanks

DennisZ

This has been discussed before on this forum, and I ran into a similar problem when installing my inverter. I believe you will find that the neutral and ground wires share a common ground in the trailer, just as they do in your home. The GFI will trip if it sees a path between ground and neutral. If you don't have an outlet on the generator without the GFI, you will need to replace the outlet with a regular outlet.

Dennis