Ice maker line leak

travlingman

On our last trip the water line to the ice maker started to leak. I found the leak was behind the false panel under the stove top but didn't investigate more since it was the day before we were to leave. I turned it off and waited until we got home to look at.

I am going to replace the line with braided line, but not until winter after a few more trips. I bought a plastic connector to fix the leak now. I hooked the water to the air compressor to find leak and couldn't find it. I then hooked up to water and after 24 hours, still no leak. I have found 1 rough spot in the line where I suspect the leak, but nothing else.

Any ides why it is not leaking now? Could it be not enough pressure at the house?

HOGHAULER

On our last trip the water line to the ice maker started to leak. I found the leak was behind the false panel under the stove top but didn't investigate more since it was the day before we were to leave. I turned it off and waited until we got home to look at.

I am going to replace the line with braided line, but not until winter after a few more trips. I bought a plastic connector to fix the leak now. I hooked the water to the air compressor to find leak and couldn't find it. I then hooked up to water and after 24 hours, still no leak. I have found 1 rough spot in the line where I suspect the leak, but nothing else.

Any ides why it is not leaking now? Could it be not enough pressure at the house?

Yes! Had the same issue,with higher pressure starts leaking at hole at crease in line from being bent .I had to use a magnifier to see stream coming out but it caused serious damage to cabinets wood and floor.

Piperflyer

Has anyone replaced the supply water line going to the ice maker on the refrigerator? This would be the line from the shut-off valve under the sink island to the refrigerator.

farside291

Some have and a search should yield results. I agree with the table top type and I Just empty the ice into the bin in the freezer for through door ice. Winterizing the icemaker to me was kind of a pain. I installed a 6 stage filter under the sink with a faucet for filtered water. We don't use the filter in the fridge all. When winterizing I shut off the water to it and I take the entire filter system out of the RV.

travlingman

Planning on replacing the line in the next few weeks if weather permits. For those who have, any tips you learned from your experience? Easier to feed line from outside to inside maybe? Figure I will use gorilla tape to old plastic line and new braided and pull from outside to in. One person do the job or is a 2?

meagle

My ice maker had a slow leak due to a missing compression ring from the factory where the line attaches to the refrigerator. The slow leak caused over $11,000 damage to my new RV. I had the line disconnected from the refrigerator and a robust shutoff valve installed on the line that sits on the frame. Poor quality control and a poor design at the Heartland factory caused this problem. Until they have better quality lines, better quality control, and and a better design where the ice maker line is not routed on the outside of the frame I would suggest that owners either re-design their system and install higher quality lines or disconnect it. My entire slide floor, living room carpet, and case work around the cabinets had to be replaced on my Landmark. It certainly left a bad taste in my mouth.

Piperflyer

Planning on replacing the line in the next few weeks if weather permits. For those who have, any tips you learned from your experience? Easier to feed line from outside to inside maybe? Figure I will use gorilla tape to old plastic line and new braided and pull from outside to in. One person do the job or is a 2?

Please let us know how you make out replacing the line and what it involved to get the new line installed.

lynndiwagoner

I just installed a Residential fridge (Samsung RF18) in my '14 BC3650. I haven't installed a water line to the fridge yet but I've been thinking a lot about it after hearing all of these reports of water line leaks. It looks like a braided water line could be installed along side the other lines going to the slide (gas, electrical, etc.) using that flexible hinge thing. It could then be routed along the frame and into the UDC area where the valve and water connections are available. Any leaks along the line would be outside and cause no damage. Why doesn't the factory do it this way? Also, if I had this problem I would re-route the water line in a similar manner and use stainless steel braided line.

danemayer

I just installed a Residential fridge (Samsung RF18) in my '14 BC3650. I haven't installed a water line to the fridge yet but I've been thinking a lot about it after hearing all of these reports of water line leaks. It looks like a braided water line could be installed along side the other lines going to the slide (gas, electrical, etc.) using that flexible hinge thing. It could then be routed along the frame and into the UDC area where the valve and water connections are available. Any leaks along the line would be outside and cause no damage. Why doesn't the factory do it this way? Also, if I had this problem I would re-route the water line in a similar manner and use stainless steel braided line.
That's how the ice maker water feed line used to be routed. On our 2011 LM, the cutoff valve is behind the UDC. Of course that means the wall has to come down to operate the valve.

The portion of the line that is exposed to outside air will still freeze and break if there's water in it and temps go below freezing. And a leak at the back of the refrigerator will still put water on the slide floor.

lynndiwagoner

That's true on both counts. I would surely not use the ice maker during freezing temps. I'm currently using ice trays and dumping them into the container under the ice maker and that works pretty good. I guess if the fridge is in a slide the water line is exposed to outside freezing temps at some point, probably in that flexible hinge thingy.