TV now in basement

travlingman

Here is a picture of the new outside TV in the storage compartment of a Landmark Oshkosh.
Oshkosh TV.jpg Oshkosh TV 2.jpg

Who came up with this idea? Let me guess, they have never pulled a 5th wheel down the road. Besides taking the storage of the front wall used to hang items, you have the TV screen where it might last a couple of trips before something is bounced into it and breaks it. It appears the TV swings out to view. If this is the way it comes out, with the basement full of stored items, how am I going to get the TV out to watch it without having to almost empty the basement? Now when I watch TV outside, the basement storage door has to be up allowing either heat/cold into the area.

From the looks of the rest of the pictures, before we saw the outside TV, we really liked it. The slide in slide bedroom is great, paint job is killer IMO, storage looks good, stove top great, just not much we didn't like. (Don't know why you put carpeting in the washer/dryer closet.)

I know you can't make everyone happy with your changes, but this is a deal breaker for us. I would think for anyone who wants the outside TV, this new design doesn't work. Maybe I am looking at this wrong and someone can explain to me what I am missing and how this is better than the way the TV is on our Savannah.

So, what does everyone else think of this new TV placement?

danemayer

Well, unfortunately it's just what I pictured. So glad we got our Big Horn when we did.

It wouldn't have made any difference to your Bighorn. It's a Landmark 365 design.

I don't think the basement has to be unloaded to pull it out and rotate it. Unfortunately, to avoid interference with the strut on the front of the door, it has to be further away from the wall than anyone would want. It does need a protective cover, and I think Andy has already heard feedback on that point as well as the general reaction.

BusManRG

It wouldn't have made any difference to your Bighorn. It's a Landmark 365 design.

Ahhh. Good to know. I thought it might be the only design available for an outdoor TV. Actually not sure I even saw the outdoor tv opinion on the new BH option list.

Just looked and and it's no longer and option.

HOOKERUP

We are now the owners of a Oshkosh.As far as the tv in basement ,it has good and bad points.We do not need recliners outside now since it is lower,and to protect tv I put a moving blanket over first then a piece of cardboard over that,maybe overkill but it can't hurt. We had the oven installed and really looks classy.We may not be full timers but we do winter in Fl. and we know it will work for us.

RoadJunkie

The new slide mount for the television--now located in the basement storage of the Landmark--was a major topic of discussion at the recent National Rally. One of the models at the rally had a condensed storage area and the television utilized much of that storage. Apparently the TV mount was intended to be a standard Landmark feature, but sounded like it would soon become an option. Actually, the opinions from the rally discussions are probably still lingering in the air as they move east to Heartland HQ. As for me, I first pondered the necessity of a seemingly current trend to install so many TVs in an approximately 400 sq. ft. 5th wheel. I mean, I've seen some floor plans with as many as 4 TVs in the somewhat tiny structure. Then I tried to remember how many people, or actually how few people, I've seen actually watching TV on the outside of their rig. It seems to me the only optimum viewing time for an outdoor TV is at night, when you don't have to fight the glare or reflections from the sun. Maybe that's why there are so many fat, healthy, mosquitoes around campgrounds. And, in some cases, the TV is mounted so far off the ground that you may need a chiropractor to solve any residual skeletal misalignment caused by neck strain.

But, I digress... First, I liked the slide mount for the TV, it seemed to function well. I don't know if the brackets that mount the slide to the bulkhead will survive over time, but time will tell. It would have been nice to have a separate compartment and door that only served to contain the TV. That way you wouldn't have the peripheral view of storage clutter in the basement when you view the TV. But, I image, that would defeat the goal of reducing the base price per unit. Anyway, manufactures have to design for infinite use, a Swiss Army Knife, if you will, and represent varying demands for the personalities of end most users. Glad it's them and not me.

Cholo

I have not seen mine yet but, was not happy about finding out it would be in the storage area unprotected. Had mixed thoughts on whether we wanted an outside TV or not, (is not an option at this point). There is SOB that has it in the storage area with a thin "wall" separating it which I thought was OK. If I get permission from my boss, DW, I will probably remove it. I like the idea of using that part of the wall to hang things on.

Mburtsvt

Ok I’m ready….. I have a Landmark Madison. It has the “option” for the outside TV. I did not order it with it. I do have the door where the TV would go. I could easily add it at some time if I wanted. As a storage area, not much will fit in it. I was hoping that it would not have come with the door, but it did. I saw the new Landmarks in Vegas. I don’t have a problem with the TV in the basement. It’s a lot better than having a 4X3 foot hole in the side of the RV. Sitting at the dinning table you can feel the cool air coming in at your legs. Another off season project I need to get to.

rvmckee

Personally, don't really care about the outside tv too much. Do like the MoRyde slide out though.
We don't have a Landmark yet, but would love to get back the buffet shelf and storage back. That's one of the things we fell in love with in the Landmark and don't want to order one without the buffet. Even if it would be an option, that would be ok too!!

RB2012

I will not buy a landmark now if the tv in basement is a forced option nor will i buy if they do not bring back the buffet table. I will switch to the redwood, what a shame. If they wanted to improve the landmark they should have put ther money in things like a water manifold and hired a new interior designer that does not have brown eyes. Everything is brown,brown, brown,brown. Take a look at the augusta rvs. Interiors are outstanding. Thanks for your ears RB2012

Cholo

I will not buy a landmark now if the tv in basement is a forced option nor will i buy if they do not bring back the buffet table. I will switch to the redwood, what a shame. If they wanted to improve the landmark they should have put ther money in things like a water manifold and hired a new interior designer that does not have brown eyes. Everything is brown,brown, brown,brown. Take a look at the augusta rvs. Interiors are outstanding. Thanks for your ears RB2012

You can't please everybody, that's for sure!

I looked at 3 or 4 Redwood RV's and they may have a little more eye candy than the Landmark but, in MHO, just the 17.5 tires and 8000 lb axles was enough for me. Also if you look as close as I did you will see thinner counter tops and other like differences in the Redwoods and like RV's. I saw a few other brands that I thought were better looking than the Landmark but except for 2, none better quality, (I'm only talking about the brands I saw which were several at a few shows and about 10 dealers). I wanted to see the Augusta Luxe but, none are close enough for me it is also about 10,000 and up above my budget. The 2 I liked better than the Landmark are the New Horizons and the DRV. Both were way out of my league. I am not thrilled about the color scheme or the TV outside and a few other things. Having said that, just as soon as my DW gives me my saw and tools back and I'm off her probation, I'm going to remove the TV and she will be working on changing the color scheme! Did I mention I like brown?

Just my 2 cents.

budman229

We just signed an agreement on a 2017 Newport. Have not taken possession on it yet. Didn't like the exposed TV in the basement.
We are having the basement ceiling mounted TV taken out of our Redwood 5th wheel and having the dealer mount it in the LM. We
will use the ML TV in the house somewhere.