ATF: North Trail - Proper Jacking of Trailer With Wide-Trax Axles

Apropdoc

Utah Chapter Leaders-retired
What is the proper way to jack/lift the trailer with the WIDE-TRAX axle set-up to replace the wheel and tire assembly or perform brake/bearing maintenance. There are many posts and threads covering this, but what is accepted way to do this without damaging the axles or trailer frame?

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
What is the proper way to jack/lift the trailer with the WIDE-TRAX axle set-up to replace the wheel and tire assembly or perform brake/bearing maintenance. There are many posts and threads covering this, but what is accepted way to do this without damaging the axles or trailer frame?

I had to use two jacks to change a tire on my NT this summer. First, I used a large bottle jack and some wood blocks to lift the frame of the trailer. Once raised a sufficient height, I used a small bottle jack to lift the axle just enough to remove the wheel and replace.

Be sure to have jack stands or something to support the trailer while raised up.

Jim.Allison

Short answer is found in the owner's manual.

But an alternative is to understand the physics of raising an axle rather than lifting a trailer.

If your goal is to raise an axle far enough to change a tire or service a hub, you can raise it by first supporting your rig by PROPERLY using your leveling system, THEN lifting your axle under the axle attachment hardware with a jack (tow vehicle jack is preferable, to minimize carrying tools). I know there are people that say otherwise, but lifting an entire side of a trailer to service a hub is impractical, and you will never do it on the road, especially where services are unavailable or extreme wait times exist, it is human nature to get it done and move on.

What sense does it make to raise an entire trailer, extending the suspension to the limit until the tire comes off the ground? IMHO the best way to tweak your frame is to lift one side of a rig, utilizing more than one jack, as opposed to exerting NO force on your frame, the axle will not experience any more force than it is exposed to/designed for already at the axle attachment points, and the frame will be unaffected by any forces. Your trailer frame does not know (so the speak) if there is a tire under the attachment point or a jack. These jacking/warranty issues are rooted in people improperly placing the jack under the axle tube and putting a crimp in the tube or bending it completely, thereby rendering it unserviceable. And rightly so, damage to your axle induced by the user would not be covered under warranty, just as tweaking your frame from improperly raising your trailer would not be covered. Just use good judgement and you will be ok.

If you are lucky, you may be parked on a slight slope, and leveling your rig may raise the offending axle off the ground for you, eliminating the need for a jack altogether.

And if you are still concerned, follow the jacking instructions in the owner manual, as it is the final word on the issue, no matter what I or anyone else says. ME? I'm not carrying the tools necessary to lift one side of my rig high enough to service a wheel. The last time I serviced my rig, I used the leveling system to support it, in a level position, and then used my tow vehicle "scissor jack" at the axle attachment point to raise the axle. And with very little force being applied to the attachment point I was able to raise that wheel high enough for service.

Caution; my foregoing opinion does not apply to removing more than one wheel at a time. For that you will need to raise your rig and and properly support it.

It's really not a thing.

Apropdoc

Utah Chapter Leaders-retired
Thanks for the replies.....they are very, very helpful! I just want to point out, that for the North Trail series Trailers (there isn't a specific manual that I can find, just the general one, not sure about the other lines), the instructions for jacking the trailer are to 'call roadside assistance'. Well, with me being a lifelong mechanic on things that fly, float, and roll...."That dog just don't hunt"! After more digging around, I found the Lippert website and found what I was looking for. As my trailer is built on the Lippert frame, this applies. I am not saying what other folks do is wrong, inaccurate, or bad, I just wanted to know what the design engineers had in mind when designing and load testing the frame for these types of stresses (jacking). I attached a PDF from the Lippert website. By the way, there are more tech data sheets on the Lippert website, as well as replacement parts etc.

Attachments

• TI___083_Recommendations_For_Jacking_The_Frame_To_Change_A_Tire.pdf
    70 KB · Views: 128

Gaffer

Do not jack on the axle without placing a saddle under the tube. Always best to jack the frame and use jackstands.