Great Forum

Brian & Tam

42 Years of Married Bliss
This is my first post in this forum and I am impressed with it's content.

My wife and I were at our favorite RV park (Morro Dunes, CA) a few weeks ago when a brand new Landmark pulled in. Having never heard of the Landmark product before I looked up the website when we returned home in Fresno, CA. Come to find out, Landmark's were located at a newly opened RV dealership (Clovis RV) about two miles from us.

We stopped by the new dealership to check out their 5th wheel lines and found another product that we hadn't heard of. We went into a 3400RL Bighorn and found it to be very nice.

We have been "looking" for the last three years for a trailer that will take the punishment of the road and still be somewhat "affordable". We have been looking at mostly high end products that fit this requirement and were turned off by their high cost.

Let's face it, since you only have 399 square feet to deal with, most floorplans are somewhat "cookie cutter" and you end up buying from a manufacture that you hope will stand behind their product. Because of this, I was considering a Montana (Keystone) 3400 or 3295. Why a Keystone product? Because of the forum they have, such as this one. You can sense from the forum posts that the majority of the owners are satisfied with the manufacture of their trailers as they stand by their warrantees, even sometimes beyond the expiration date.

I was very delighted to find "this" forum in place as it gives me that same kind of information. Heartland and Keystone are very wise in communicating with their customers this way. It shows they have nothing to hide and it builds confidence within their customers.

I look forward to investigating the Bighorn and Landmark products when I get more time....

Brian & Tam From Central Calif.
99 F350 7.3 PSD 99 34' Wildwood
Searching for the perfect RV

RV'in with my best friend since 1972

Last edited:

boatdoc

Welcome to the forum. Being a new member myself and also being impressed with the the heartland products I've found myself searching and searching the web for as much info on them as I can. They are a pretty NEW company but I've read where they have many years in the business. I'm very impressed with the owners of these rigs threads. Really impressed with an answer from one of their employees, Scott, on how fast he answered a question I asked about a dealership that might be closer to my location. Keep looking and watching as I think these rigs are keepers.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Welcome, Brian and Tam. We will reach 42 years of wedded bliss this coming February ourselves - 42 for me, probably less bliss for the wife.

Montana was one of the first units that I considered. So far, I am really impressed with my Bighorn, although it will get its first major test this January when we head down to Florida. We chose the 3655RD because we wanted the rear den and the wife insisted on a fireplace. Since then, we've had a "campfire" every night that we camped, which is a lot more than we ever had when we had to use firepits.

Look hard at the Bighorn and don't rush into the purchase. Consider others like HitchHiker, Jayco Designer, Carriage Cameo and Compass, Keystone Everest, Open Road and build a spreadsheet with all of the features. In my opinion, the Bighorn was a clear winner for the features that we wanted.

Look at all of the options that each make has and if you see something that you really like, see if it can become a part of the Bighorn (or Landmark, if that is the choice you make).

This is our last camper purchase, having begun in 1975, so we wanted to get it right. I feel that we did.

Best of hunting. It's a lot of fun.

Last edited:

Brian & Tam

42 Years of Married Bliss
Thanks to Boatdoc & Cdbmidland

Bighorn interests me if their published weights are correct. I also like the basement storage (w/toolbox) in comparison with the Montana as they are open and not cluttered with plumbing.

I do like what I hear from the Montana customers however, about the manufacture standing behind their warrantees. They (company) use common sense instead of using some fine print hidden in their warrantee.

I suppose I'm reluctant about the Heartland products because of their short time in production. I would like to hear from more customers that have had problems with their trailer and learn how Heartland took care of them.

I want to hear from Heartland about their "let's satisfy the customer" policy. Let's face it, doing business with the customer in mind will attract more customers in the long run. If their products are as good as they say they are then they shouldn't have a problem with that.

Brian & Tam From Central Calif.
99 F350 7.3 PSD 99 34' Wildwood
Searching for the perfect RV

RV'in with my best friend since 1972

Last edited:

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

Well I really don't know where to begin with this one. I will make it short and sweet. I have had more than the average problems, keep in mind that my Grand Canyon was one of the first to be built, number 29 to be exact. Heartland has fixed all, I repeat, ALL of the problems I have had with no hassle. You have started in the right place for warranty issues, this forum, we do not hold anything back, and the factory reads and replys to alot of the issues. I don't know if any other manufacturer does that, and not have some control over what is posted. Good luck with what ever brand you decide to buy and travel safe.

jbeletti

Hi Brian and Tam,

Welcome to the forum.

Like fireflipper, I too have had my share of issues with my trailer. Mine is the 378th built, so I probably have had just an average number of issues.

In my experience, Heartland has taken care of every single thing that I have asked them to.

The last time I asked them to take care of my list, I happened to be traveling for work, near the Heartland factory, so I asked them to take care of things down there. They made me an appointment with an RV repair facility near the factory. Factory reps met me there and and went over my list with me and the facility owner. The facility made the repairs/adjustments I requested, to my satisfaction and then some. Didn't cost me a dime.

My warranty will be up next April. My hope is that all that will go awry with my unit has already done so. Time will tell.

Best of luck in your research for your next trailer.

Jim

Last edited:

fasteve

Brian and Tam,

As owners of both new Keystone and Hartland Products in the last two years, maybe I can give a real life assessment of both Companies.

We purchased a New Keystone Everest 36' in Jan of 04. Added a W/D, Ice Maker and since it was prepped for a gen set, a Onan 5500LP. We liked the floor plan and the 4 slide outs. We parked it near our house and 'moved' in to it over time in anticipation of a June 1st 2004 retirement. The big day came and we were off to Alaska to see the Grand kids. We wore out all 4 tires and had them replaced in the Yukon, and both axles were visibly bent.
I spent countless hours on the cell phone in Tok (Roaming at .90/min) trying to talk to The Keystone factory, only to be put on hold for hours. Never did get through. Finally bought new excels in Anchorage and limped back to Denver as cold weather was setting in.

By this time we figured out the weight sticker that said we had some 2200 lbs of Cargo Carrying Capacity was a figment of someone at Keystones imagination. After unloading EVERYTHING inside and looking up the weights of the added W/D, Gen and Ice Maker, and doing a careful weigh in, it became obvious that the REAL CCC of this coach from the Factory was 845lbs ( No water, No Propane and No added appliances) which gave us about 300 lbs for EVERYTHING inside (Dishes, Clothes Books etc.)

We were about 1200LBS Overweight and Keystone WAS having defective excel problems at the same time. By this time we had a typewritten, single spaced 2 page list of other minor and major defects. The dealer in Denver looked over the list and estimated he might get to in in 60 to 90 days and it could take 30 to 45 days to fix everything. We would be trapped in the snow for a few months...I THINK NOT.

We went down the street and found a Golden Gate on the lot and traded on the spot with one condition: they must weigh the unit first and compare it to the Factory sticker. Needles to say when you by from a reputable company it was within a few pounds.

Best move we made in two years. Very happy with Landmark and when you call you talk to a real person. Made the same trip this year with NO problems at all.

Yes, we have had a few minor glitches here and there but the dealer has always fixed everything no questions asked.

In my opinion there IS NO COMPARISON. The Landmark is a few dollars more than the Montana, but well worth it.

Steve and Cora Hoff