I am really close to pulling the trigger, need help!!

bgscott

I have been watching this site for some time and haggling with my local dealer for what seems like forever on a 2998rb. We are ready to close the deal today, while taking a closer look at the unit I found a few small problems. there are 3 pieces of trim that need to be secured, and the door to the half bath drags on the carpet pretty bad. My dealer looked at these and is in the process of repairing them, my worry is about one other problem I found. The right hand side of the living room slideout has a pretty bad leak. we had a big rain last night and the carpet is soaked underneath the couch. the vertical piece of burgandy trim around the slideout is damaged from the floor about 14" upward. it looks like the leak has been there a while and the wood has soaked up enough water to swell and crack. My question is what else could be damaged underneath the slideout floor?? there is no water in the trailer that I can see, but it looks like this has been leaking for a while. My dealer already has the piece of trim in stock but he has not repaired the leak. would you guys buy this unit or look for another?

thanks

Brad Scott

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Welcome to the forum Brad.
You will have to answer your own question but I will tell you that Heartland is a superior company when it comes to customer service. As for your leak issue, do you feel that the dealer is capable of finding and correcting the issue? Do you feel comfortable that your dealer will be there for you after you drive off the lot? While heartland is a great company, there are times when the dealer is not so great and can make for a bad experience. As for the leak, anything can be fixed and corrected so I would not be hesitant in buying the one on the lot. The other option would be to order one and wait, which for some of us is hard to do. Even so, you roll the dice with whether or not there would be issues.

Good luck and let us know how things go,
mark

bgscott

I do think the dealer is very capable of fixing the issue. he is only 10 miles from home and friends who have bought sundances from him have good things to say. the dealer is north alabama rv in rainsville alabama. It looked to me like the leak was in the side window, there were water marks down the side wall underneath the window. The dealer said he would replace the interior wall if I wanted him too.

there is also a small (2inch) tear in the couch behind the upper cushion. its looks like someone tried to make the bed out by pulling on the cushion, and the couch was still tied for shipping so the fabrich tore at the stitches. is it too nitpicky to ask for a replacement or repair. this is not a very big deal but it seems like a pressure point that would continue to rip now that it has started. would you guys ask for this to be repaired?

JimandSina

Hello Brad,
Welcome to the forum, I agree completely with Mark, you will have to determine your comfort level with the dealership and the idea of off the lot versus ordering, I went through this when buying my Cyclone and can tell you that I visited several dealers before I found my comfort zone and then did order special as I wanted a particular set of options as well as a brand new fresh from the assembly line unit, just my 2 cents worth, best of luck and Happy Camping.
Jim

JimandSina

As a follow on, IMHO you can never be nitpicky when it's your money //heartlandowners.org/images/icons/icon7.gif , luck to you
Jim

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
The way I look at it, you are giving them perfectly good money so you should expect a perfectly good unit. I would make them fix every single little thing. Even so, you do have a one year warranty. What I do is during the season I make a list, if necessary, and have them fix whatever I find at the end of the camping season. I do not want to miss a single weekend because of camper issues.

Good luck,
Mark

bgscott

thanks for the input! I met with the dealer today and we shook hands on it. he is going to fix all of the issues and I will pick up the trailor late next weeK!!! I can't wait, we are upgrading from a hybrid, my 5 and 2 year old are fired up!!!

jcd8822

Joseph
Welcome to the Heartland Family. When one finds a unit they love it is hard to walk away without buying it. We knew we were going to buy our Bighorn before a salesman walked in. It was fun watching him trying to sell us on something we already new we were going to buy.

Joseph

Coldfusion

All slide room openings
feature a double rubber
wiper seal around the
slide out opening, making
water penetration virtually
impossible, but we don’t stop
there! Two bulb seals are put​
in (interior and exterior)!
who said that Heartland land says that. Goto their main web site then click on the button that allows you to down load the construction manual. I know what water damage can do. You need to get a great discount or have them replace the whole slide. It should all be under warranty. So either get it all fixed right or by another unit. Best of luck . Remeber This is Heartland your dealing with and they stand behind their products!!